Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Explorer driving me crazy! Keeps freezing out mouse betwee

• Please log in to reply

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Alternate way to remove Bonjour is to:

Start, All Programs, Accessories then right click on Command Prompt and Run as Administrator.  Then type (with an Enter after each line).

sc  stop  "Bonjour Service"
"%PROGRAMFILES%\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe"  -remove
regsvr32  /u  "%PROGRAMFILES%\Bonjour\mdnsNSP.dll"
netsh  winsock  reset  catalog

Then reboot.  You can then delete the folder C:\Program Files\Bonjour if it is still there.  Also C:\Program Files (x86)\Bonjour.

All I know about Dragon is what I see on the web but make sure you are looking in C:\ProgramData and not C:\Program Files

No need to delete the old files.

Windows is in Notification period error see:

https://answers.micr...15-557f1d0701d1

Using ShellMenuView to disable non microsoft entries might be worth trying if you still have your mouse problem.

Advertisements

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

I tried the command prompt script, but it responded with:

"C:\Windows\system32>sc  stop  "Bonjour Service"
[SC] OpenService FAILED 1060:

The specified service does not exist as an installed service."

RE: notification script, will that force me to immediately re-enter my OS serial number by phone-only?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

It may have a slightly different name on your version.  If you type

services.msc

in the Command Prompt and hit Enter it should open the services window.  Scroll down and find Bonjour and Stop the service.

If you can't find it just go on to the next command.

Check that Windows is activated:

Click on Start, then Control Panel, then click on System and Security, and finally click on System. Then scroll all the way down to the bottom and you should see a section called Windows activation, which says “Windows is activated” and gives you the Product ID. It also includes the genuine Microsoft software logo.

Sometimes the file that tells windows it has been activated gets touched by an antivirus or other scan and Windows will decide it is not activated.  Avast used to do that sometimes when you did a full scan. 

You can also activate windows the usual way: 

1. Select the Start button , right-click Computer, select Properties, and then select Activate Windows now.
  2. If Windows detects an internet connection, select Activate Windows online now. ...
  3. Enter your Windows 7 product key when prompted, select Next, and then follow the instructions.

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

No Bonjour at anywhere in Services.

CMD response:

C:\Windows\system32>"%PROGRAMFILES%\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe"  -remove
'"C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe"' is not recognized as an internal
or external command,
operable program or batch file.

System shows "Windows is activated", displaying a serial number in full.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

OK.  Let's run FRST so I can see what is going on.  I can use FRST to remove it as if it were a virus.  I will have to get this moved to our malware forum since they don't want me to run FRST except there but it should be transparent to you.

Instructions are here:

http://www.geekstogo...before-posting/

Start at step 2.

Looks like the notification error was a transient thing if it now says it is authentic.

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Okay, I will wait until you move to malware forum, then post results. Will you PM me?

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

There is a new entry in Whitelists called "One Month", which I left ticked, but wasn't displayed in the FRST Guide thread screenshot.

When you're ready, here are the logs:

FRST.txt

Addition.txt

Edit: I have no idea how the text files became public in this post. I've deleted it from this post, click on the links for reference.

Edited by hmp3, 24 November 2021 - 09:48 AM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

I asked to have us moved to the malware forum but  with the holidays coming up there may not be anyone available but they will get to it eventually. 

OK.  I was barking up the wrong tree with Bonjour.  Apparently Blackberry uses some of the same files from Apple for their software so you might want to see if there is an update for your Blackberry software (If you still have a Blackberry - if not just uninstall  it)

I have built a little fixlist which will check some files, remove some deadwood, check your system files and clear the old alarms.  Should take about 15 minutes to run.  It will want to reboot when done.

Download the attached fixlist.txt to the same location as FRST

Attached File  fixlist.txt   9.9KB   242 downloads

Run FRST and press Fix
A fix log will be generated please post that

Reboot if the fix doesn't reboot it for you

Run FRST again but this time make sure Addition.txt is checked and hit Scan.  Post both logs.

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

I still own Blackberry Devices, and they don't have software updates.

Thank you. I ran Fixlist, restarted, but then I saw this dialogue box: "There was a problem activating your Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware BETA."

Fix log (After 1st FRST Fixlist)

New FRST logs:

FRST.v02

Addition.v02

Edited by hmp3, 24 November 2021 - 11:50 AM.

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

After restarting again, Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware BETA updated, and now shows no activation errors.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

I had a typo in my fixlist and it wasn't able to check the file I wanted it to check.  Let's do another one.  This will be very quick and will not reboot.  Just need the fixlog.  No need to run a FRST scan.

Attached File  fixlist.txt   632bytes   237 downloads

Looking at your Addition.txt I see a problem with your anti-viruses.  You have two.  Comodo has started adding their anti-virus when you install their firewall.  You can opt out when you install it but you have to be really careful and they don't make it clear what they are doing.  Having two anti-viruses will slow things down as everything gets checked twice and the two programs will fight each other.  I would uninstall Comodo then reboot and very carefully reinstall it and try to just get the firewall.

I had the last fixlist check the dragon logs and they seem to be OK.  The error is probably because the Blackberry is not attached.

Your Sandboxie is not happy for some reason.  Perhaps a configuration error.  There is a new version out v5.40  that might help too.

I still think it's running too hot and that you need to remove the fan (not the heatsink) and clean between it and the heatsink.  If that doesn't help then it probably needs better thermal paste.  I prefer Arctic Silver 5.

The case fan is probably not too important.  It may turn off and on depending on the internal temp of the case. 

Tomorrow is a holiday so we will be away from home most of the day so there will be a delay on getting back to you.

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Fixlog.v02

I'll get to the COMODO reinstall in next few days. I wish I could just keep the setup and firewall and just disable the AV without re-installing.

I haven't updated Sandboxie because after version 5.33.6, the software was made open-source and forked in 2 different versions.

I was satisfied with the last stable version.

I was also told to ignore Sandboxie errors unless functionality stops working because often times, when Sandboxie complains, when there is no actual symptoms.

I have tried terminating Sandboxie from system tray, but still experienced a mouse issue during that time.

Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving!

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Removed and hair-dried heatsink-cooling fan, and used brush and many tissues to clean old stuck dust.

But because I'd never seen thermal paste and mine was grey and scattered, I thought it was stubborn dust, so I accidentally wiped it all off from heatsink and CPU.

Connected everything back up and 15mins later casually launched speedfan.

Alarmed by the 90c temps, I restarted and saw 84c at BIOS.

I googled the colour of thermal paste and realised what had happened.

That dry grey 'scattered dust' I wiped off was actually paste and somehow kept my PC working at high, yet workable temps all these years.

This must be a good custom PC as I never replaced thermal paste since buying it in 2008.

I got Amazon to rush-order same-day delivery (thank God as no shop stocks it locally in London, and ones that do cannot be reached as the trains are on strike, and taxis are expensive especially since it's Black Friday).

I bought Arctic mx-4 due to quick-dry and 8 year longevity once applied.

Isopropyl was impossible to buy (even amazon can't deliver until after weekend), so I used tissue and microfibre to clean old paste crumbs before.

I diagonalled 2 lines of the paste on CPU, placed the Heatsink-fan on top, took it out to see that paste spread most of the space, with only a small gap at one side.

Cleaned a little excess with tissue.

New temperatures:

At BIOS 10 mins after stabilizing:

CPU= 40c, MB= 39c (this is only 1 Celsius less than before I removed the heatsink-fan).

10 mins after booting to windows,

Idle and Firefox (after loading):

CPU= 45c, Core0= 45c

4kVid:

CPU & Core0=63-68c

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

That's why I said don't remove the heatsink just the fan but it sounds like you got it sorted anyway.  Temps are much better than when we started.  Has it made any difference in your problem?  Didn't you say something about a middle button on your mouse?  If you go into Control Panel, Mouse you should be able to tell it what the middle button should do.  What is it set to do now?  Can you tell it to do nothing?

Microsoft says they will provide updates to the MSE database until 2023 so I guess you can continue to use it but it would not be my choice since the engine itself will no longer get updated. 

https://support.micr...38-b07dffcbbb20

Instead of reinstalling Comodo you could just uninstall MSE and let Comodo provide the anti-virus.  It is at least being updated.

https://antivirus.co...-for-windows-7/

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

I have no idea how to separate the heatsink from the fan. They are attached together, then below that is the CPU chip.

I uninstalled COMODO and reinstalled Firewall only (turns out the old installation was still Firewall Only).

I disabled any virus protection modules.

Furthermore, I also updated Sandboxie as I didn't realise that 5.44 was the final non-open-source update to my 5.3 version.

So far, no relapses. Want to test another day.

Control Panel> Mouse freezes for 60 seconds before loading the GUI. There, middle-button configured to Autoscroll.

Edited by hmp3, 28 November 2021 - 05:15 PM.