Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Build on AsRock Z270 Taichi hates me (Resolved).

Best Answer phillpower2 , 30 November 2021 - 03:38 PM

Intel Core i3 9th Gen - Core i3-9100F Coffee Lake 4-Core 3.6 GHz (4.2 GHz Turbo) LGA 1151 (300 Series) 65W   Intel i3 processor or Intel i5 9400 coffee processor  The... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

wildpony

wildpony

• Pip
  • 5 posts

I started this build (my 4th or 5th build) in 2019 and then had heart problems so the MB warranty expired before I got it put together.

When I put it together the blue MB lights come on, not the dual LED on the MB & after a bit start blinking, no fans or HDDs run, so I shut it down each try real quick.

I have tried it with the Ram out, 1 stick in, with the case wiring unhooked except for the power button. nothing changes.

I emailed asrock and got a tech last year but his response was a pic from another type of MB with green & white wires while mine are black & white.

This year they are unresponsive and no longer make this MB.

Other than the blue MB lights blinking nothing happens.

I have the manual & lots of pics & diagrams.

This is what I have:

AsRock Z270 Taichi motherboard 1151 socket

Gigabyte graphics card
DDR4-2666 udimm 16gb x 4 Ram
Intel i3 processor or Intel i5 9400 coffee processor

256gb PCI SSD

Fractal Design Define R5 - Mid Tower Computer Case - ATX

The MB has 2 places for HDD Leds

I'd love any suggestions or questions.

If this MB is toast then I'll have to try to find one compatible with the rest of the build.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,750 posts

Spotted an issue straight away but before going any further can we have the info requested below.

Intel i3 processor 

Can you tell us which i3 processor it is that you have.

Gigabyte graphics card

Can we have the model name or number of the GPU.

Can we also have the model name or number of the PSU.

wildpony

wildpony

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Hmm. I'm still digging. I did find a note on the MB specs that says the 8th gen intel cpu's aren't supported.

The boxes were trashed a long time ago due to a move from Ca to Az.

This is on the purchase websites:

Intel Core i3 9th Gen - Core i3-9100F Coffee Lake 4-Core 3.6 GHz (4.2 GHz Turbo) LGA 1151 (300 Series) 65W

EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 Video Card 01G-P3-1302-LR

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,750 posts
✓  Best Answer
 Intel Core i3 9th Gen - Core i3-9100F Coffee Lake 4-Core 3.6 GHz (4.2 GHz Turbo) LGA 1151 (300 Series) 65W

Intel i3 processor or Intel i5 9400 coffee processor

The i3 has the same problem as what was spotted in your OP, it is not compatible with the MB as the board only supports 6 and 7th Intel CPUs, you can confirm this for yourself here

wildpony

wildpony

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Thank you for confirming that. Now I guess I need to decide whether to get a MB that can handle what I have (with 6-8 sata ports),

look in the garage for an older cpu, or buy an older cpu. It'll be fun to see what is cheaper.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,750 posts

You are welcome and good luck with the hunt  :thumbsup: 

wildpony

wildpony

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I think this will fit the bill :ASRock Z390 Pro4 LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel Z390 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard

https://www.newegg.c...N82E16813157855

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,750 posts

Before you make any purchase you need to ask the merchant if the BIOS has been updated so that it recognises 9th gen CPUs.

wildpony

wildpony

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Thank you. I am trying to verify that. The ad states: Supports 9th and 8th Gen Intel Core processors (Socket 1151) so I'm hoping. If not, I should be able to update it.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,750 posts

You never go off adverts when looking for information, you go off the hardware providers info, remember, the former are trying to sell you something whereas the latter wants folk to be happy with their products.

if not, I should be able to update it.

Nope, you would need a working CPU in the board to be able to update the BIOS as in an 8th gen CPU.