Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Icons not responding on boot-up.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

Ste

Ste

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Hi, I’m having problems with Win10 Bootup.

After another drive in my PC became inaccessible for a while, ( A seperate drive containing files,-I am not sure how it recovered), I found that Bootup was very slow, sometimes sticking on the ‘Welcome Page’ for some time, and then no icons on the Desktop or taskbar would respond when clicked on. The taskbar with icons shows whilst the Welcome Page was still showing’. It is only when I start Task Manager that they then respond. 'Sometimes' it Boots as normal, but still the icons don’t work.

I can’t access the recovery options using my Window pen drive (it goes to blue screen saying: The boot configuration data file doesn't contain valid info for OS.), and using a Macrium Reflect rescue disk to rebuild the boot files doesn’t work.

I also restored a Macrium Reflect disk image but it didn’t make any difference and may have been saved with problem included, if that is possible.

Can anyone suggest how to fix this? Thanks.

Steve.

Advertisements

Ste

Ste

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Hi, I would like to add to my first post as things have changed slightly. I have been able to create a new windows installation pen drive and accessed the rescue page options. Nothing I have changed has altered the problem so far, i.e. bootrec /FixbootMbr, bootrec /FixMbr etc. but now the problem doesn’t occur on each boot.

To add to the first post, the problem is that it can be a minute or so on the welcome page, then the task bar with its icons appears, then the desktop pic with no icons, until I start up Task Manager, then they appear and are responsive. When it is ‘normal’ it is quite fast. Any clues might be helpful.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts

the first thing to do is unplug the power or data cable to this drive

A seperate drive containing files,-I am not sure how it recovered), 

Ste

Ste

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Hi, thanks for responding. I first thought that drive might be the problem, though after it had seemingly repaired itself, I bought another drive, replaced it, and transferred my backed up files to it. I then found I still had the same problem.

I have two internal drives for files and two large external backup drives (8tb & 4tb), always attached.  They have never been a problem. As you have brought up the subject of elimination, I had decided that it wasn’t that as I had not had a proper boot up when no drives at all were attached. As I said it seems to be intermittent.

After reading your response I have disconnected all drives and it booted OK. I then connected only the external drives and had the problem. Although I could assume that one or both of those drives may be the cause of the slow boot, I am open to suggestions.

I don’t know if it is relevant or not but I cloned the OS drive using Macrium Reflect, (with no other drives attached), thinking it may solve the problem but the clone will not boot; telling me to choose the correct drive in the boot options.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
I cloned the OS drive using Macrium Reflect,

Did you remove or disconnect  the original drive after you cloned.

It can be a disk identifier number causing.

Did you try the Macrium repair from the resuce iso.

With just the cloned drive connected does it show in the  bios

Ste

Ste

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

HI, yes when I clone a drive I always check if it boots on its own with no other drives connected.

I had only done an image backup using Macrium Reflect of the original drive which, after using it to try to correct the problem did not make any difference; presumably because the image contained the problem also, or was not identified correctly, though I have done other clones without this issue.

The cloned drive itself will not boot; I am told to choose the correct boot source.

If I boot up with the drive that works with ‘only’ the clone connected, the boot info reads as follows in order top to bottom:

Unknown Unknown

Windows BM(P3:Foresee 512GB SSD)

Unknown Unknown

P5 DRW-24D5MT

Unknown Unknown

P2: Foresee 512GB SSD (488386MB)

P0: Foresee 512GB SSD (488386MB)

So yes, it does show.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
I had only done an image backup using Macrium Reflect

So image backup not an actual clone?

Look through this then try to clone again https://blog.macrium...ne-67af145e5a23

Ste

Ste

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Hi, sorry, what I meant was that I had only done one image backup which, when used did not solve the problem. I had also cloned the drive but it is not recognised by the bios.

For the same reason, I am not sure what the point of re-cloning again is, or why I should expect it to be different. I am more concerned as to what the problem with the boot procedure might be, i.e. intermittently, (as I have said, it occasionally boots as normal), taking over a minute to get past the welcome screen and then more time waiting for the icons to appear on the desktop.

One thing I have noticed is that when it is lingering on the welcome screen, the screen flashes for a split second as though referencing another source, though that is just my interpretation.

I have made lots of clones in the past using the procedure shown in the video. Do you still think I should make another clone?

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi, sorry, what I meant was that I had only done one image backup which, when used did not solve the problem. I had also cloned the drive but it is not recognised by the bios.

Ok I thought you were trying to use the image as the clone instead of a proper clone.

Do you have all your programs and serial numbers for the in original format or backed up? If yes then I would put in the drive you cloned to- the one that won't boot

Download the latest win 10 tool https://www.microsof...nload/windows10

Only have the one drive connected and try a fresh install.

Ste

Ste

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Hi, I was hoping you wouldn't say that, but I did consider it may be necessary. I'll probably put up with it as it is for the next few weeks and then do as you suggest. Thanks for your help.

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts

Try setting up a new user Control panel>user accounts Make it a local user then change it to admin rights test.

Are you stilling booting with just the one drive

Ste

Ste

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Hi, I set up an alternative account with admin rights but it has the same boot up problem. Could it be the BIOS in need of re-flashing? I have three clones of the OS, two are from Feb & March this year and the other is the recent one; none of them are recognised.

I am now wondering, if I have to reinstal windows on another drive, will booting up then conflict with the drive that does work, or will both be accepted? I don't want to loose the drive that does boot, even though it seems to be effected by the random boot issue.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Could it be the BIOS in need of re-flashing

That is always the very very last option. get it wrong and you have a brick.

I am now wondering, if I have to reinstal windows on another drive

If you have a spare drive - download the latest win 10 and install - test.

Are you still only booting with one drive only connected?

Did you try windows reset? Pic attached

Attached Thumbnails

• reset win 10.PNG

Ste

Ste

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Hi, I have three internal drives, one containing the OS and two external drives, mainly for backups.

The boot problem seems to be the same if no other drives are connected, or all are connected, though it is confusing as the problem is not consistent.

I have never used the reset option, but doesn’t it leave you with the same thing as a new instal, i.e., the need to reinstall all apps etc?

I am considering a new install which I can do in increments so that I can still have a working PC with all apps available.

What I was asking is; could this cause another boot problem if I am swapping OS drives, i.e. the one already working but with issues, and the new instal drive which I will be adding apps to? In other words, is there reason to think that one may not be recognised on boot up when swapping?

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts

First of can you open a cmd prompt as admin and type in CHKDSK /F /R /X Press Enter It will probably ask to reboot  

Make and model of motherboard please 

fresh disk install new windows.

Reconnect current disk 

Depending on Motherboard most give an option on splash screen to pick how to boot. e.g press F9 (or another key) and it will give an option to boot either disk

without having to enter the bios. Should not give any issues.

Test new install first before adding any apps.