Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop's New Battery stops charging at ~90-92%

• Please log in to reply

TooNew2

TooNew2

• PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

The original battery in this ASUS A54C laptop (14.4v, 2600mAh, 37Wh) recently degraded to where it would only keep the unit alive for a few minutes; I normally only use the computer at a desk with AC power, and the system says it charges the old battery to 100% when doing so. [Is it monitoring the voltage?]

Last week I installed a replacement battery of the same specs. (from EBay) but after being on AC, so able to charge constantly for a few days and nights, and after using the system on battery a few times in order to run it down below 50%, the system still stops charging at ~92%. After temporarily reinstalling the old battery, it charged to 100%. Reinstalled, the new battery, it still behaves the same as before. While running on Battery, the system will show the "Time Remaining", it being two or three hours at first, depending on what's open and being done, so the battery at least seems to be good.

In reply to my query about this, the seller said 1) that if the charger (transformer) is over two years old, it should be replaced (it is actually working fine), 2) that I should update the BIOS (??) or change the Power Settings (Nothing I know of in Power Settings is about charging levels, only usage) and 3) I should have the motherboard tested.

Can anyone explain this situation to me and/or give me detailed guidance? Is there some procedure I should try to get the system to reset its battery management program to fit the new battery, or is there something else I'm missing?

I did at one point, while the system was Off, (and AC power disconnected) remove the battery and then hold the On button down for ~20 seconds to discharge capacitors, remove residual charge, or whatever.

Edited by TooNew2, 04 December 2021 - 03:18 AM.

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,087 posts

Hello tooNew2,

This for a Dell but could provide some ideas.

How To Fix Laptop Battery Stops Charging At, Wont Charge Past, Wont Charge Above, etc for Dell - YouTube

TooNew2

TooNew2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Hello, ZEP516, and thanks for the link. I should have mentioned earlier that I did earlier go to my Bios, but I found no Power Management there. It's an American Megatrends, but I didn't copy the model number or take pictures of my screen showing any of the open tabs.

When I fired the system up this morning, it showed the battery at 95%, so maybe, because I'm so used to having to fix things, I'm just impatient in this situation and I need to let the computer relearn the charging needs, or the battery to get "broken in" some more?

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,087 posts

You're welcome.

Sounds good see how it all turns out.