Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stuck on Acquiring Network Address and RCP Server is Unavailable

• Please log in to reply

bgosper

bgosper

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi 

I have an old Dell Vostro 230 running Windows XP. It has never been connected to the internet before. I activated it on my wifi network but it won't connect to the internet. It sees the network and the signal is plenty strong.

In Network Connection, it just is stuck on Acquiring Network Address. I tried to connect it directly to the router as well but same issue, even with the hardwired connection still get that same message. The router is fine as there are other devices connected to it wirelessly with no problem. I have the latest drivers for the broadcom controller and the Atheros wireless card--downloaded directly from Dell Support page today and installed. 

I tried several fixes including ipconfig/ release and then renew. I also tried to do a flushdns but also received an error doing that as well (though I don't recall at moment what that error was)

It released fine but when I try to renew, I get "an error occurred while renewing interface wireless network connection: the rpc server is unavailable" (if I have it hard wired, instead of "wireless" it says LAN so either way that command is not working). So the only thing worked was the release. If I run that again it says it was already released so I assume at least that request worked 

Are these 2 things related and if so/if not how can I fix this and get the machine connected?

Any help is appreciated!!

Edited by bgosper, 04 December 2021 - 11:18 PM.

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Hi,

Try to apply the fix's available on the NetAdapter Repair All In One

https://www.bleeping...air-all-in-one/