Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ssd not recognized (Resolved).

Best Answer nickf33 , 28 December 2021 - 04:37 PM

Thank you phillpower2-Received the harness and installed ssd cloned it all good Thanks loads for your help Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

If the original drive had issues that was affecting data on the drive those issues would be replicated on any replacement drive that the data was cloned to.

Advertisements

nickf33

nickf33

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

sorry i don't understand. I cloned two drives I used #1 as main drive,still working, second drive for backup worked for a period of time then was no longer recognized.received replacement with same problem.

Is it possible and or advisable to what i asked in first post?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
second drive for backup worked for a period of time then was no longer recognized.received replacement with same problem.

Two things stand out here;

They make millions of these drives so what if any is the chance that you get a random replacement drive out of those millions that has the same problem as a drive that you sent back.

The drive must still be under warranty so why not use it, warranties aren't free, use what you have paid for and make a note of the serial number on the drive so that the same one can`t be sent back to you.

nickf33

nickf33

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

This is the second replacement,I'm no longer going to bother I'm using slandered backup.Can you tell me if my first question is advisable? Thank you so much for your input.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

If you are not bothered about the warranty opening up the housing and removing the drive is not a problem, what is a problem is that the drive is not accessible on another computer so you need to be aware that you may go to the time, trouble and expense of purchasing a USB storage device kit only to find that you get the same error message.

Fitting the drive in a desktop as a second drive would be the best option, if the PCs own drive can`t access the second drive the drive is either hosed or the contents so badly corrupted as to not be readable..

nickf33

nickf33

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Thank you philpower2. If i put it for second drive can I use it as backup?not clear on that.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Sorry but cannot be any more clear, the drive will either be detected and readable or it will not, the outcome determines your options.

Fitting the drive in a desktop as a second drive would be the best option, if the PCs own drive can`t access the second drive the drive is either hosed or the contents so badly corrupted as to not be readable..

nickf33

nickf33

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
✓  Best Answer

Thank you phillpower2-Received the harness and installed ssd cloned it all good Thanks loads for your help

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Great news and thanks for letting us know  :thumbsup:

You are welcome btw and It is nice to see that you taking the risk on purchasing the kit worked out ok for you  :)