Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

KB5008212 issues

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

wizardofmann

wizardofmann

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

I have tried to update twice. Downloads OK, but stops installing at 20% and keeps re-starting computer but goes no further! 

Advertisements

DR M

DR M

The Grecian Geek

• Malware Removal
  • 4,096 posts

Hi, wizardofmann.

Let us know if you solved your problem or not. 

wizardofmann

wizardofmann

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Firstly, thank you for your replies.

I have been trying to get to the bottom of this mess since the 12 of December and as a consequence, my head up the proverbial a**e! Plus I have just spent half a day correcting the mess two ignoramus MS support agents made. So I hope you understand I am very nervous clicking/downloading stuff off the internet. 

but if I can get a heads up from an administrator of the forum, I will try anything within reason.

Although I am getting on in years, I am computer literate, I was a CAD engineer in another life. I am now retired for nearly twelve years. I believe the problem is that the update system has become corrupt. I tried DISM with administration rights but even that does not work/load.

Thanks again in advance.

I Did an edit to remove a swear word.

Please remember children use this site.

Peterm

DR M

DR M

The Grecian Geek

• Malware Removal
  • 4,096 posts

You are very welcome, and I hope we will be able to help you here.

Let's check the services. 

• Please download Farbar Service Scanner and save it on your Desktop.
  • Right click on the tool icon and run it as administrator.
  • Make sure all the options are checked.
  • Click on the Scan button.
  • It will create a log (FSS.txt) on your Desktop.
  • Copy and paste the log's content to your next reply.

DR M

DR M

The Grecian Geek

• Malware Removal
  • 4,096 posts

@Freebooter, 

The user said he ran DISM without success, so possibly something is corrupted. The above actions won't help if this is the case or if there is a missing service. 

I asked him to run FSS to check the services and then decide what action is needed. 

wizardofmann

wizardofmann

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

firstly, my apologies for the swear word. Secondly, thanks again for the replies.

I have held back replying as I am frightened to death changing anything right now as I really have had a traumatic time with the Microsoft techs! I am even more convinced now that windows update is 'broken.' I have made an official complaint and await a reply but not holding my breath.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts

You can listen to what Dr M advises. This is his area of expertise. He has gone through a couple years training to do what he does.

The malware people (He is one) all do rigors training before they are allowed to advise on what to do. 

DR M

DR M

The Grecian Geek

• Malware Removal
  • 4,096 posts

The FSS I asked you to use is just a diagnostic tool. It will not mess up anything, just show us if there is something wrong with services having to do with updates. But it's your computer, so your decision about how you are going to proceed.