Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black bar on the bottom of my screen

• Please log in to reply

Files_J

Files_J

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Hello. For a couple weeks now, I've had this irritating black bar on the bottom on the bottom of my laptop screen. In that time, I haven't found a method that has worked to fix this issue. It's not a major issue, I can still view all the content on my screen, but if there's a possibility to fix it, then I'll take it. Here's a list of things to note:

• The laptop is an Acer Nitro an515-55 running the latest version of Windows 11
  • No physical damage has been performed on this laptop
  • Updating the graphics and monitor drivers didn't help
  • Changing the scale/display resolution didn't help
  • The bar disappears when playing certain games (E.g. South Park: The Stick of Truth) 

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Hello Files_J,

Any chance that you could take a picture and upload it for us.

Have you tried connecting the notebook to an external screen to see if the black bar is replicated on that.

The fact that the bar goes in certain games suggests that this is system related as opposed to being driver related.

Files_J

Files_J

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Display on seperate laptop via wireless connection
50129816-6B3A-497A-B574-A4537BB90B87.jpeg The original laptop
You may be right. The issue doesnt seem to occur on a seperate monitor, so I dont know whats up with that.

Files_J

Files_J

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
85CCDCFC-52A3-4B48-936E-702077707D30.jpeg The seperate monitor photo didnt seem to go through, but here it is anyways. The problem doesnt occur here.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Not sure what we are meant to be looking at tbh, all I am seeing is the task bar icons.

The external screen test needs to be done via a video cable from the Acer Nitro an515-55 

Files_J

Files_J

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

First of all, I don't have an external monitor. And second of all, in the first image, the taskbar icons are cut off at the bottom by the black bar. Like I said, it isn't a major issue, but I find it incredibly annoying, especially since I feel like it's growing larger every time I boot up the laptop.

Files_J

Files_J

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Update: The bar seems to disappear when I enable 60hz instead of 144hz. However, I want it so I can run 144hz without the bar, but I haven't found a solution to that.