Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Massive FPS drop suddenly

low fps

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Tofu_Joe

Tofu_Joe

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Hey guys, I've had this computer for about 5-6 years, and never had any issues. I have played most major titles as well as VR and everything worked fine up until around the time Battlefield 2042 came out. I'm not sure that this is related in any way but this is just the timeframe where everything started performing poorly. There was an NVIDIA driver update shortly after release and a game patch then the game became unplayable. I thought it was just 2042 at first but I switched over to Fortnite (A game I ran flawlessly before on max settings) then all of a sudden I was getting tears/stutters/massive frames drops to around 30-40 on average. I thought maybe my GPU was giving out so I foolishly upgraded from a GTX 1070 to an RTX 3060ti thinking that would remedy my issues. There was VERY little improvement in frames and I still get the jerks/tears/stutters.
I've done the following:
Fresh clean install of drivers
Rolled back drivers
Fresh install of windows
Checked benchmarks (Came out flawless)
I'm not sure what's going on, I'm tempted to just buy a new PC and gut my current GPU/harddrives But I really want to figure out what the issue here is first and check and see if it's just one or two things I can replace

My rig:

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz, 4001 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
16GB RAM Ripjaw
NVIDIA Geforce RTX 3060ti
ASRock Z97Killer Mobo BIOS Legacy
2 Samsung SSDs
Using a freesync 144hz monitor (Gsync compatible and active)

I'm not very pc savvy but I've also checked temps while gaming and everything seems normal. All my reccomended settings are ultra on most games but lowering them makes no difference whatsoever.
Any help is much appreciated, I'm completely stumped

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

That really is the only thing that we could have you check as you have covered everything else as well.

I suspect your internet connection, if not a problem with your connection a problem with the games servers.

Can you post the brand and model name or number of the power supply (PSU).

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here, this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

To publish a Speccy profile to the Web:

1. In Speccy, click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.
  2. In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.
  3. Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot. You can open the URL in your default browser, copy it to the clipboard, or close the dialog box.

Tofu_Joe

Tofu_Joe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

That really is the only thing that we could have you check as you have covered everything else as well.

I suspect your internet connection, if not a problem with your connection a problem with the games servers.

Single player games are affected as well :/

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

See additional info.

Can I ask that you do not quote every reply as we have to read the full post to make sure nothing gets missed,, thanks.

Tofu_Joe

Tofu_Joe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Will do, sorry about that

http://speccy.pirifo...72gDRrCAcDoil5K

https://imgur.com/a/mYtnw3i   image of PSU

Also here is a benchmark

https://www.userbenc...serRun/51019905

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Unless urgent can I ask that you do not double/multi post, I get up to 200 emails a day to read and there is nothing worse than being mid way through typing a reply but then having to stop to see what was added, I will edit this post once I have checked Speccy, please don`t post meanwhile.

Edit to add;

That PSU was released way back in 2014, when you post back after addressing the below can you tell us how old your PSU is, if not still covered by a warranty there is no way that you should be using it with that GPU.

Regarding Speccy, will list what we can see as we see them;

RAM

16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz 

Your RAM is running too slow, enable XMP so that it runs at 800/1600MHz.

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Computer type: Desktop
Installation Date: 3/3/2022 6:38:27 PM

Windows is shown to be a recent install but no system drivers have been installed since.

Once Windows has been clean installed you must then install first the chipset drivers, then the storage/SATA drivers and third the graphics drivers, the drivers can either come from a disk provided by the motherboard manufacturer or downloaded from the site and saved to a flash drive etc, this is a must and Windows should not be allowed to check for updates before it has been done as more often than not Windows installs the wrong drivers or in the incorrect order and this can cause all sorts of problems. 

Power Profile

Active power scheme: High performance

Change the Windows Power Plan to Balanced, Ultra and High Performance are a form of overclocking that is known to cause stability and overheating issues, the setting should only be used for gaming type notebooks that have a discrete GPU that needs the extra power.

Your benchmarks confirm that there is zero wrong with your computers hardware performance wise.

Tofu_Joe

Tofu_Joe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

My Bios says my pc is from 2018 and that's when I bought/installed the PSU. I've installed all drivers now as well as made the adjustments you suggested. Ran a test on a few games and the results are the same as before. Further steps I have taken list as follows:

Tried a different monitor/cable
Tried my 2nd pci express port
Reverted to GTX 1070 and tried both ports
Runs a little better still with RTX 3060ti  but the result is mostly the same. Dropping to 30FPS on and off in games that I used to run flawlessly on ultra(my recommended settings)

Sorry for late reply got busy with work, thanks for your patience/assistance

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Thanks for the update but you have unfortunately not provided any feedback that is pertinent to what was post in my reply #6 which means that we are not in a position to offer anything further atm.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Thread closed due to lack of feedback from the OP  :(