Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Wireless Adapter HP Envy 17

• Please log in to reply

galec

galec

• PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Guessing this laptop circa 2015.  Haven't used it much in the past year.

There is no wireless adapter in device manager. This is listed under Network Adapters: Bluetooth device (personal), BT dev (protocol), Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller and 8 WAN entries. Under Bluetooth it lists a Broadcom adapter. I don't know or care if that works.

I used the virtual advisor at HP. 

They have both Broadcom (win10, I use 8.1) and a Realtek drivers. I downloaded the ReaItek. I did find the Broadcom for W 8.1 elsewhere. When I saved it, seems I already had that saved in 2015. None of these will install the adapter.

I'm not sure which adapter I should have.  When I use HP Recovery, a Broadcom wireless adapter is listed to recover and that doesn't work either!

I remember years ago I had trouble with the wifi. I think I went to services to start 'something'.  I checked there but nothing points to wireless

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Go into  Device Manager then View, Show Hidden Devices.  
Now look for Unknown Devices.  If you find one then Right click on it and select Properties then click on the Details tab.  
Change Property to Hardware IDs.  Click on the top one then right click and copy.  Then post the info.  That will tell us which WiFi device you have and help find a driver.

If you don't see any Unknown Devices then your best bet is one of the USB-WiFi adapters.  You can find them for about $10.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Thought you said there was no WiFi device in the Device Manager?  What is the Driver Version and Driver Date from the Details tab?

What is the serial number of the laptop?  Should be on the bottom.

Could the WiFi be turned off with a Fn key or  Airplane mode.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

If you right click on the device in Device Manager and Uninstall it and reboot does it reinstall the driver?

Version 6.223.215.21 is available if you want to try it:

https://drivers.soft...-1-64-bit.shtml

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Did not install after reboot. I won't install the driver I had or the one you gave me! UGH.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Is there an Unknown Device?  

If not probably the WiFi card has failed.  It can be replaced fairly easily if you can get the bottom off the laptop.  Just one screw and the  two antenna connection (which just snap off/on)

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

I'm guessing now it's the hardware since the device is missing and the driver won't install. It has keyboard issues too! I wanted to print something to wireless printer. Guess I'll just plug into the router. The next step from HP virtual agent was resetting bios, not doing that.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

That's the most likely problem.  You can probably find a new keyboard and wifi card on Amazon if you really want to fix it or just get a USB keyboard and USB WiFi adapter and live with it.

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

I've been trying for couple years to get all my files out so I can get rid of it, It weighs a ton!! Been using USB keyboard and mouse when I need to use it!