Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Firewall: Blocking the connection vs disabling the rule

Firewall blocking connection disabling networking

• Please log in to reply

Solice93

Solice93

• PipPip
  • 92 posts

Something I'm curious about and have tried to find a clear answer with little luck, in Windows Firewall what is the difference between blocking a connection and disabling a rule for an individual program or process? I'm tired of everything sending off data, and I want to start minimizing the "leak", and I want to know a definitive answer before I do anything foolish and accidentally make my system more vulnerable.

Also, if blocking the connection through the firewall is the answer I'm looking for, is there a way to block many programs and services at the same time? The only thing it allows me to do in bulk is enable or disable the rule. Furthermore, does blocking a connection supersede whether a rule for a program is enabled or not?

Edited by Solice93, 26 March 2022 - 10:14 PM.

Advertisements