Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My debt card got hacked, what should I do to prevent this

• Please log in to reply

RebelGamer137

RebelGamer137

• PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

From happening in the future again? Also anything else I should do? I froze my card and I am going to call my credit union Monday when they are open.

Advertisements

hatkins

hatkins

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Exactly how did they get your details? was it at the cash machine with a skimmer or on an online fake site or malware?  would depend on if you needed to scan for malware and change your passwords. 

To prevent it happening in the future never enter your card details on sites that are not https also dubious sites I would steer clear of sites that are not well herd of. Always cover the digits when entering your pin at a cash machine and check it doesn't have a skimmer attached.

Use something like Malwarebytes browser guard to give you some protection from risky sites.

Edited by hatkins, 03 April 2022 - 09:31 AM.