Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Transfering EIDE HDD files to SATA HDD

• Please log in to reply

ash_melb

ash_melb

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have just installed a new SATA HDD in my system and have installed Win XP.

I want to transfer some of my old files from my old boot drive (the EIDE drive) to the new one.

However, whenever I have both drives connected, the system will always boot to the old IDE drive. I have tried making this a slave drive, and even a secondary slave, it it always recognises it as the primary boot drive. When I dosconnect the drive, the SATA boots without issues.

what am I missing here? :tazz:

How do I 'de-boot-ise' my old IDE so I can have it connected (to xfer the files) whilst making my new SATA boot as the primary boot drive.

Thanks ,

Ash ;)

Advertisements

mdl3r1

mdl3r1

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Good question!
I have a small PATA/IDE HDD as my primary, and a larger same type HDD as slave...and might want to replace first one with a larger SATA...would hope I would not have similar problem!!
Btw, how did you go about setting up your new SATA with Win XP, etc? Did you have any trouble? I been seeing lots of folks get trouble just trying to set up their new SATA drive...
tnx!

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Change the boot order/sequence in your Bios to boot from the Sata drive first. And... make sure your old ide HD is not jumpered as a master.

makai

Edited by makai, 08 July 2005 - 03:48 AM.

mdl3r1

mdl3r1

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Change the boot order/sequence in your Bios to boot from the Sata drive first.  And... make sure your old ide HD is not jumpered as a master.

makai

View Post

duhh...I should have caught that. It does sound like you kept the IDE drive jumpered as Master...sounds like both were master-jumpered...

@ash
Other than your issue after installing both, did you have any issue formatting/installing XP onto your new SATA drive?
That is my concern: if I get a new SATA drive, what will I face in terms of drivers/settings beyond installing XP afresh as if I had an PATA/IDE?
Thanks guys :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You dont even have to change it from master you just remove it from the boot priorities, last night in the wee hours i did just that with the hard drive from an old pc( i didnt remove it just connected it across.
The only difference is you need to install SATA/RAID drivers from a floppy disc when you install windows when you are prompted to do so, its really easy .

mdl3r1

mdl3r1

• Pip
  • 7 posts

The only difference is you need to install SATA/RAID drivers from a floppy disc when you install windows when you are prompted to do so, its really easy .

View Post

Hey scott,
So, what you are saying is that buying and setting up a new SATA HD, only difference from IDE HD is that it will ask you to insert the floppy with the SATA drivers during the fresh Windows format/install? ;) duhhh

then a) Now, I did get a floppy with SATA/RAID drivers i think with my new MSI Mobo that is SATA-connectors equipped...is it that floppy/drivers, or does the SATA drive come with the HD(or download from HD mfg web site), not the Mobo SATA drivers?

and b) so why all the difficulties I been reading about installing SATA drives? :tazz: It had me holding off on replacing my HD this whole time!!! LOL
Thanks in advance....
md

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Those are the drivers, the ones that came with the mobo i got a couple of different driver discs but they both do the same job, i know caused i used them yesterday.

People are muppets and tend not to read instructions and read things or do the proper research before hand, some people do get a duff drive but that happens with IDE ones as well they just blame it on SATA.

Its a piece of cake it was actually easier than IDE to install as the cables were colour coded for the specific ports and the cables are really easy to manipulate and hide.

mdl3r1

mdl3r1

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I agree; people under-read, and then over-blame...
Thanks again...i think I'll start browsing for a huge SATA HD :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I got a 200 GB diamond max 10 for 60 quid and its great very fast. Also when you get another you put it into a RAID and you have increased storage and performance.