Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 10 won't update from 1909

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

CalicaCJA

CalicaCJA

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Hi - hoping someone can help me!

I have an HP 15-bw055sa, running Windows 10. It has a AMD A6-9220 Radeon R4.

About a year ago, when it was on version 1909, it began failing updates. I didn't worry too much at the time, but am now trying to get it resolved as 1909 is very out of date.

I have tried to update it using a Windows 10 USB stick having downloaded the media creation tool. I have also tried to upgrade it directly from that website (https://www.microsof...nload/windows10) - both times it will fail as follows:

The installation begins well - I get the 'Install Windows 10' screen telling me Setup will go online to get updates and drivers etc.

Then I get the 'Ready to Install' screen, where I decide whether to keep my personal files and apps.

Then the blue screen with white writing - 'Installing Windows 10' and it counts up to 100%

When it then restarts the laptop, I get a screen full of different coloured lines - as if there is a problem with the graphics card or drivers, and you can just make out the HP logo in the background.

I then have to turn the laptop off and restart it. After a number of attempts, it finally boots up into Windows, but not updated and still running version 1909. The following message is on the screen:

'We couldn't install Windows 10

We've set your PC back to the way it was just before you started installing Windows 10.

0xC1900101 - 0x20017

The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during BOOT operation.'

There is nothing plugged into the laptop, no anti virus to be disabled, the hard drive has no errors. I have even tried installing as a clean install with a blank hard drive. If I try and install any version beyond 1909 it fails. If I install using an old 1909 version, it works fine.

Any ideas?!

Thanks

Advertisements

Gary R

Gary R

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 445 posts

Please post the following logfile ...... C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log ..... which should give us some idea of what the problem might be.

The log will likely be large, so you'll need to attach it.

If the file is too large to attach, please upload it to a file sharing service and provide the link to it in your next reply.

Examples of services to upload to are WeTransfer and TransferKit and SendFileOnline

CalicaCJA

CalicaCJA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Please post the following logfile ...... C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log ..... which should give us some idea of what the problem might be.

The log will likely be large, so you'll need to attach it.

If the file is too large to attach, please upload it to a file sharing service and provide the link to it in your next reply.

Examples of services to upload to are WeTransfer and TransferKit and SendFileOnline

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I have uploaded the CBS file to One Drive at the following link. Hopefully this will work!

https://1drv.ms/u/s!...cmKjog?e=wLUHB5

Thank you

CalicaCJA

CalicaCJA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Sounds like you are trying to reset Windows 10 if you want to upgrade to the latest version use Windows Update or from Windows 10 Media Creation tool select upgrade.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

No, definitely not trying to reset - simply want to upgrade from 1909 to 21H2.

Have tried numerous times from both Windows Update and Win 10 Media Creation tool.

Have also just tried update troubleshooting, reset update components, checked drivers are uptodate, nothing running in background, NET Framework doesn't appear to be causing an issue.

CalicaCJA

CalicaCJA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

I have also run the SetupDiag program and the results are here:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!...rE9iOA?e=Wr2klN

Gary R

Gary R

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 445 posts

I see you have opened a help topic at Sysnative ... https://www.sysnativ...verytime.35983/... and I recommend you go with any help recommended by whoever answers your topic there.

The guys there really know about resolving Windows Update problems. 

My expertise is Malware Removals, but I'm also a trainee on the Update program at Sysnative, so I've seen what the guys there can acheive.

Your CBS.log doesn't tell me too much, there's really only a couple of lines that caught my attention ...

2022-05-07 08:34:09, Info                  CBS    Failed reading PoqexecCmdline registry key [HRESULT = 0x80070002 - ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND]
2022-05-07 08:34:09, Info                  CBS    Failed to get poqexec cmdline from Components\Configuration. [HRESULT = 0x80070002 - ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND]

Windows Update occasionally has to update programs and services which are already running.

An active program cannot be updated, so what it does is it stores the update instructions in a file called "C:\Windows\WinSXS\Pending.XML" and prompts for a reboot.

On reboot, "C:\Windows\System32\POQExec.exe" fires up and executes these instructions, but your CBS.log suggests there may be a problem with either the POQExec file, or the Registry entry that calls it.

Whether this is actually what is causing your problem I'm not experienced enough to say, so as I said, I'd wait for a fully qualified helper at Sysnative to help you.