Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Processor

• Please log in to reply

Cloud Striffe

Cloud Striffe

• PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Which would be better for gaming?

The new intel mobo's come with SLi so that is a possiblity.
intel Pentium D 820 Smithfield 800MHz FSB 2 x 1MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Dual Core, EM64T Processor : $285 (that is why i am interested)

Would I be smart to stick with the single core AMD like a:
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice 1GHz FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor: $270 (also good)

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
That really is an interesting question? I am going to find out my preference automatically goes for AMD but a dual core cpu at that price its either very good value or its dodgy.

Cloud Striffe

Cloud Striffe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
I got the price from newegg so I don't think they would sell dodgy stuff. But I know your preference is AMD, as is many people, I'm just asking what would be better for gaming?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Right it is essentially a cut back (dodgy) version of a dual core the amds are still the best gaming chips as they rule the roost in terms of single thread 32-bit applications(games). If you do alot of audio encoding and 3d rendering etc. the get a 820. The intel chips are also very power hungry needing 45 watts more power.

Edited by warriorscot, 20 June 2005 - 11:56 AM.

Cloud Striffe

Cloud Striffe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
I was reading that review that you posted about the AMD 3000+ with the Venice core. How fast do you think the 3500+ would be if I overclocked it?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
It would actualy go about the same speed. CPU manufacturers dont make a core that goes at xGHz they make one core and then set the speed so a 3000+ is more or less identical to a 3500+. So they both are limited to the venices top stable speed at about 2.8Ghz it will of course go higher but you would need some better cooling for that.

Cloud Striffe

Cloud Striffe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
So what would you buy if you were going to buy one soon?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well i am gonna buy one soon (next month birthday money to spend) im getting a AMD 3200+ Venice as it offers a decent amount of power unclocked and at 2ghz is a nice round number to play with. I initialy once i have made sure my pc is completely stable intend to overclock to 2.5ghz hopefully as i can increase the HT and RAM speeds by the same ratio as my RAM is guranteed to clock up to a good speed and it is well within the mobos capabilities.