Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Laptop extremely slow - No viruses

- - - - -

Best Answer phillpower2 , 22 September 2022 - 07:36 AM

Hello brazil1970, Problems that we can see in Speccy that will impact internet and all round performance; You are using a third party AV when one is not needed, if not already aware it is... Go to the full post »

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

brazil1970

brazil1970

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Hi I need help on my laptop LENOVO V110-15IAP running windows 10 Pro. I bought it used on a electronic store. Laptop was restored to initial state. But runs extremely slow after a couple of minutes of browsing internet.  A eset virus scan did not detect anything.. Please any help will be appreciated

Advertisements

brazil1970

brazil1970

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I ran Speccy already. Heres the snapshot:

http://speccy.pirifo...jwjbVy8YLNQFyg4

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,477 posts
✓  Best Answer

Hello brazil1970,

Problems that we can see in Speccy that will impact internet and all round performance;

You are using a third party AV when one is not needed, if not already aware it is disabled so a waste of time in any event.

Antivirus

ESET Security
Antivirus: Disabled
Company Name: ESET

You are using a VPN which likewise slows things down,

Most telling is that nearly all your RAM is being used up;

Physical Memory
Memory Usage: 86 %

Windows 8, 8.1, 10 and 11 come with an improved Windows Defender, it offers the same real-time anti-virus/anti-malware protection as Microsoft Security Essentials. Windows Defender also shares the same malware signature definitions as Microsoft Security Essentials, and Forefront Endpoint Protection. Technically, Microsoft Security Essentials has not been renamed Windows Defender, or combined with it in Windows 8, 8.1, 10 and 11.

If any AV product that you have is a paid for version you should always make sure that you have a copy of the product key kept somewhere safe just in case you ever wish to reinstall it.

Please create a new system restore point first.

See ESET removal info here

Once any other AV has been correctly uninstalled, check to see if Windows Defender has auto enabled and allow it to update and carry out a full scan of your computer.  

Once done, restart, test by using the computer as you normally would.

Get rid of the VPN.

Upgrade your RAM to 8GB minimum, see upgrade info here

Upgrading the RAM will enable dual channel and go from 800MHz to 1600MHz.

Tip

If using a computer and not a mobile phone, please avoid adding multiple posts while waiting for us to reply to your OP, edit your last/opening post to include anything that you wish to add, when viewing the boards members/staff will always check out an OP that has no replies, if you reply to your own OP it can appear to others that you are already being assisted and your request for help could be overlooked, which is something that none of us want.

brazil1970

brazil1970

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Thanks for looking at this.

I tried everything but just cannot start windows on safe mode to uninstall ESET, F8 is not working.

brazil1970

brazil1970

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I was able to uninstall ESET using ReVO uninstaller, do not know if it was completely removed though. I will upgrade the memory but cannot get rid of VPN due to my work that needs it. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,477 posts

Sorry but you would have been best to wait for me to get back to you before using Revo as there is a very good reason why ESET has its own uninstaller that needs to be run in Safe Mode, traces can get left in the registry and web browsers which can be difficult/impossible to even find let alone remove.

Accessing Safe Mode using F8 has not worked since the the release of Windows 8 way back in 2012, Windows has different ways of accessing Safe Mode one for emergencies and others for occasions such as this, sticking with a non emergency way, see Start safe mode with [Shift] + ‘Restart’ info here

I will upgrade the memory but cannot get rid of VPN due to my work that needs it. 

Good news on the memory as it will 100% improve all round performance, the VPN, other than suggesting that you try temporarily disabling it both before and after the RAM upgrade and ESET removal there is nothing more that we can suggest due to legal reasons and the GTG Terms of Use the below is to help to protect yourself, your company and GTG from both the bad guys and legal departments. 

We offer free computer help and tech support for home and personal use. We are not here to support others that work for profit, or to support/replace your company's IT department.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,477 posts

Post separately so that the OP gets notification of the thread being closed.

Your VPN/IP details show The host name for 82.102.26.238 is no-mans-land.m247.com

See info here and here