Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SFC Checks

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

John Bull

John Bull

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

In the event of sfc /scannow failing to repair files, will running program SFCFix resolve the matter ?

I am well aware of the other checks -

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

In the event of sfc /scannow failing to repair files, will running program SFCFix resolve the matter ?

Its difficult to say! the SFCFix auto-fix capabilities are limited...

John Bull

John Bull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

You will execute Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth command to repair files within component store, which SFC command use it to repair corrupted system files.

You can also use Windows 10 install.wim or install.esd image files to repair component store files if the Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth command cannot repair component store files.

In this video, i will guide you on how to resolve "The source files could not be found" dism error message.

Sounds like major surgery. Is SFCFix no use ?

John Bull

John Bull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

The SFCFix can automatically fix some of the files, but when it cannot, you need to provide the corrupted files.

Once the scan has been completed, a notepad file called SFCFix.txt will launch with the results. A text file will open, showing you the results. In a perfect world, it will tell you what file was corrupted and that it was fixed. If you don't see the words FIXED/REPAIRED, then it did not fix the problem.

Thank you  :spoton:

Will Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth do a better job ?

Edited by John Bull, 26 September 2022 - 03:37 AM.

John Bull

John Bull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

The SFCFix can automatically fix some of the files, but when it cannot, you need to provide the corrupted files.

Once the scan has been completed, a notepad file called SFCFix.txt will launch with the results. A text file will open, showing you the results. In a perfect world, it will tell you what file was corrupted and that it was fixed. If you don't see the words FIXED/REPAIRED, then it did not fix the problem.

Thank you  :spoton:

Will Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth do a better job ?

Better in what way, it's the easy option that included in Windows 10/11 you can always use SFCFix tool when you have problem with Dism tool.

Thank you for your help - I am ultra-cautious because I fear a Windows seize-up if these SFC commands fail and I rely on my computer daily.