Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Camera Not Working after Screen Replacement

• Please log in to reply

Liv Scott

Liv Scott

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Hey folks!

So I recently got my screen replaced on my 2018 Lenovo Flex-5 15-70 because I'm a klutz and dropped it. Touchscreen, blahblah. And now - the camera won't work. It keeps popping back an error message - "Something went wrong. If you need it, here's the error code: 0xA00F4271<MediaCaptureFailedEvent> (0x80070018).

I've even reinstalled Windows 10 hoping that would fix it - I can't figure this out for the life of me. And I'd take it back to the shop - except I'm working 60-hour weeks and I'm in school now, which started the day after I got my laptop back, so I feel like I'm stuck unless I get a sudden break of time.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd be incredibly grateful!!

Edited by Liv Scott, 01 February 2023 - 07:44 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Is the camera listed in Device Manager at all, if yes is there a yellow ! or red X next to it.

Have you installed the system divers and starting with the chipset drivers first, any drivers can be downloaded from here

Liv Scott

Liv Scott

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Hey! The camera is listed in Device Manager, I don't see any icons next it

Oh! I didn't think of doing the BIOS - I just did that. The camera is not responding still - when I restarted my computer, once it had finished booting it landed with this error message? But the camera didn't bring back the same error message, just this error message when the computer finished restarting

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Oh! I didn't think of doing the BIOS -

Sorry but nowhere was the BIOS mentioned, only the Deice Manager and asking if you had installed the system drivers since you clean installed Windows 10.

Once Windows has been clean installed you must then install first the MBs chipset drivers, then the storage/SATA drivers and third the graphics drivers, the drivers can either come from a disk provided by the motherboard manufacturer ** or downloaded from their site and saved to a flash drive etc, this is a must and Windows should not be allowed to check for updates before it has been done as more often than not Windows installs the wrong drivers or in the incorrect order and this can cause all sorts of problems.

** For OEM computers/notebooks such as Acer, Dell and HP etc you must only download drivers from their support page, OEMs may sometimes redirect users to a third party site such as AMD or Nvidea to obtain the latest drivers for their GPUs, this tends to be for high end gaming notebooks and desktops though.

Liv Scott

Liv Scott

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Ohh gotcha, I completely misunderstood - thank you so much for clarifying. I installed this from that link, I'm guessing this was the wrong thing? I'm so sorry! Intel Management Engine 11.8 Firmware for Windows 10 (64-bit) - Notebook

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
I installed this from that link, I'm guessing this was the wrong thing? I'm so sorry! Intel Management Engine 11.8 Firmware for Windows 10 (64-bit) - Notebook

As per my replies #2 and #4;

Have you installed the system divers and starting with the chipset drivers first, any drivers can be downloaded from here

Once Windows has been clean installed you must then install first the MBs chipset drivers, then the storage/SATA drivers and third the graphics drivers, the drivers can either come from a disk provided by the motherboard manufacturer ** or downloaded from their site and saved to a flash drive etc, this is a must and Windows should not be allowed to check for updates before it has been done as more often than not Windows installs the wrong drivers or in the incorrect order and this can cause all sorts of problems.

** For OEM computers/notebooks such as Acer, Dell and HP etc you must only download drivers from their support page, OEMs may sometimes redirect users to a third party site such as AMD or Nvidea to obtain the latest drivers for their GPUs, this tends to be for high end gaming notebooks and desktops though.

The chipset drivers have to be installed first as they are what enables the MB to be able to communicate with all the other hardware, the storage drivers next to make sure that your data gets stored correctly and the video drivers after that so you get the best graphics to allow you to work properly, after that most computers will let you install the other drivers any way you can but some ( namely Dell ) insist that all drivers are installed in a set order, your Lenovo should be ok as long as the chipset, storage and video drivers are installed as one - two and three.

Because you have already installed some drivers out of sequence I suggest that you see if you can get lucky by using the Lenovo auto driver updater tool here

Lenovo webcam troubleshooting steps homepage here

If the above do not help, you have two options, starting afresh by clean installing Windows and then installing the system drivers exactly as has been explained and if still no webcam you have to consider the possibility that the webcam either got broke or was not reconnected when the screen got replaced.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Not heard back from you Liv Scott, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

Liv Scott

Liv Scott

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Hi PhillPower2 - apologies, I got bogged down by work. Sitting down now to go back through your steps, thank you so much for laying it out and my apologies for my misunderstandings! I'll report back later tonight!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

No problem and thanks for getting back to us.

Liv Scott

Liv Scott

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Alright here we are

1) I downloaded and reinstalled Windows 10 from a flash drive

2) I installed Intel Chipset Driver for Windows 10 (64-bit) - Notebook from the Lenovo site linked

3) I installed Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver for Windows 10 (64-bit) - Notebook from the Lenovo site linked

4) I installed NVIDIA VGA Driver for Windows 10 (64-bit) - Notebook from the Lenovo site linked

5) When I went to run the NVIDIA VGA Driver, it told it was incompatible with the system (weird, since Lenovo detected my system and serial number), and had me download instead https://www.nvidia.c...results/193298/, which I got from checking the computer specs against NVIDIA's site

6) I downloaded Lenovo Vantage as a double-check, had it search for any needed updates - none were found

7) Camera still not recognized, and no error code at this point. I'm also now getting permissions issues, which I can solve easily enough, but just another weird issue.

Should I give up and take it back in? It kind of sounds like that might be best?

I appreciate your guidance, and your attempts to help me through this!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Did you try the troubleshooting steps that were also sugested, if not, see info here

Liv Scott

Liv Scott

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Hey,

Haven't forgotten, just in midterms!!

I went through the trouble-shooter, and came across this when going through Lenovo Vantage?

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot (328).png

Edited by Liv Scott, 28 February 2023 - 02:09 PM.