Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Restore Recycling bin files in DOS

• Please log in to reply

Gamer2bn

Gamer2bn

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
well there no way to explain it besides im a dumba** i deleted some inportant files and i cant start the comp goes straight to dos now i need to restore the files i have in the recycling bin then ill be all set its a crappy comp not really important that i get it back as i have this laptop and my newer comp but i dont have admin rights on the new one. o ya btw i was going to just reinstall windows but the cd drive is unistalled isnt that grand?

Advertisements

Beast

Beast

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Sounds wonderful :tazz:

First of all, in DOS, go to the Recycle bin, and check what's there:
cd\recycled
dir

If the file names are plain bogus, or there are lots of files, let's forget about it and reinstall instead (instructions follow). But if there are just a few files and the names seem to be real files, tell us the names and we'll see what we can do.

Reinstalling Windows: It may be easier than you think. On the better installed 9x machines, the installation files are copied to the hard drive before the install. So... first of all, you have to get the serial number used when Windows was installed the previous time. No other serial will work.
If you can't find it, go on reading anyway. It may be saved in a .inf file.

Then start and go to DOS. Type this command:
dir c:\*.cab /s /p

This will search for Windows installation files on your hard drive. If found, it will display them and the folder they're in. Note that there should be pretty many with similar names, not just five or ten.

Note the folder the files are in. Common folders are C:\Win95 or C:\Windows\Options\Cabs
Now, change to that directory. For example:
cd \windows\options\cabs

Then just go ahead with Install (enter install and press Enter).

Right, if you didn't find the serial number... go to the installation folder and type this:
dir *.inf

This will list any .inf files. If there is a batch file (to set all or most installation parameters), the serial number may be saved here. I don't remember the exact parameter, but if you type this command:
install /?

...you'll get some help. I think it should be like this:
install /b:msbatch.inf

Good luck!

Gamer2bn

Gamer2bn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
78 files
2 directories
seem bogus cant see all of them tho

im going to try the second part now

Gamer2bn

Gamer2bn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
im in c:\windows\options\cabs i dont know how to start the install from here ...

Gamer2bn

Gamer2bn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
if its easier to do i dont mind sitting here and restoring all 70 someodd files ... i dont know anything about dos so i dont know how to start this

Beast

Beast

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
If you have the seral number just type install and press Enter.

Gamer2bn

Gamer2bn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
when i type install it says bad command or file name

Beast

Beast

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Ok, then something is wrong. If you type DIR and press enter, what do you get? How many files?

/Rob

Gamer2bn

Gamer2bn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
there are 372 files 2 dirs

Gamer2bn

Gamer2bn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
I am pretty sure the cd drive isnt working but i have the System CD Version 2.7 could i use thst to fix this problem? if so what is the command?

Gamer2bn

Gamer2bn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
If i can't fix this i would like to install a new Operating system and reformat the C drive to get rid of everything could you help me find a downloadable OS and guide me through the installation / reformating process? also note i have a cd burner on another comp but i think the cd drive is still not working on the old one i opened it and pushed all of the connections to make sure they were attached as someone told me they should automatically work and cant be uninstalled ...