Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

internet sharing problem...

• Please log in to reply

Josiah_Fordahl

Josiah_Fordahl

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
hi i have roadrunner highspeed online 5mbps and a D link ethernet broadband router.
i have it sharing the internet between to computers.. when they are both connected and surfing the net... a little thing pops up and says my network cable is unplugged.. but i just repair it and it goes back to normal and then like 1 or so later it does the same thing again.. and looses its connection.. and i dont know what to do? thanks

- Josiah

Advertisements

Hawker

Hawker

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
your NIC card may be going bad, or you could have a bad CAT5 cable (ethernet)

try reseating your card, in the past i have seen that resolve the same problem.

Hawker

Hawker

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
one more thing to try; turn off your PC, and unhook the router from the phone jack and your PC, reboot and hook it up again, see what happens.

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
sounds more like a dodgey cable i would look into replacing the cable "generally" the ethernet card wont get a connection at all or will cause the system to crash just a thought tho, if it is the ethernet card try loading optimized defaults in the bios as this can reset the system resources.

Josiah_Fordahl

Josiah_Fordahl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
i tried everything cept replacing the cables... the cables are brand new so they shouldnt be bad right? it is still happening so i dont know what to do? when i hook the internet up straight to one of the computers the problem stops and doesnt occur! so could it be the settings for my router that is making this problem?

thanks.. - Josiah

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
I would try using static addresses on all devices (Router and both PCs) and see if it still happens. For more information on static addresses, click the link in my signature referring to tutorials and select the Static IP Address tutorial. Hope this helps.

Greazy Mcgeezy

Edited by Greazy, 23 June 2005 - 01:45 AM.