Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with 180searchassistant

• Please log in to reply

guy_x

guy_x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I think we've run out of possible solutions, can I somehow change administrative rights from control panel or right clicking on MY PC icon? if not then I'm sure I will have to follow your advice and reinstall Windows.

Thanks.

Advertisements

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
1. Right-click the My Computer icon on your desktop, and choose Manage from the pop-up menu.

2. In the left pane, expand System Tools, and then click Local Users and Groups.

3. In the right pane, double-click Groups.

4. Double-click Administrators. If your account has Administrator rights, it appears in the Members section.

I'm pretty sure your account will still be listed there, but if it isn't I think we can fix this.

Regards,

guy_x

guy_x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Yes, my account is (or was :S ) still listed there. I remember I checked the Administators Rights before your last reply, which I read until today. Unfortunately I'm starting to think reinstalliation is now a must ...Last night i scanned my PC as usual, running Adaware, Spybot, Ewido and Panda. All good besides Ewido found C:\WINDOWS\tmpcpyis.bat infected and putted it into quarantine, once finished I ran Panda and so far it found some "SaveNow" adware in registry, which was backed up too before cleaning... I went to sleep, leaving the scan running.
The mourning after I go up to my PC and find screen totally black with this message: 'A disk read error occurred, press CTRL-ALT-DELETE to restart' so i do it but just repeats the same sequence( I don't know if it was due to the removals or something else happened). Tried booting from Windows XP installation CD, but just gets me a 'CHECKING HARDWARE CONFIGURATION' message, followed by a black screen.

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
I am very sorry. :tazz:

All I could do is try and ease the symptoms, but you could never be sure to be the person "really" controlling that computer.
You could be sending out tons of spam while you are online for all we know.

Even a repair install will not help. That computer needs to be formatted.

Regards,

guy_x

guy_x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Thanks a lot for your support these days. I'm gonna try to save some of my data and format that PC and be more careful in the future.
Cheers :tazz:

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
OK. Good luck.

Please do have a look at my site about removing and preventing spyware.