Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

how do i slave?

• Please log in to reply

konajim

konajim

• Pip
  • 9 posts
hard disk seems knackered cant get it started when asked to press f1 or any other key nothing happens safe mode will not work . Brother says it is done but i might be able to salvage some of the data if i use it as a slave drive and transfer over .
How can I do this I have an old compuer whichn im using now with xp.
any help welcome
thank you
jim

Advertisements

1nfection

1nfection

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
The easiest way to do that, is to get that HDD to boot, and then transfer to a USB HDD of something. Slaving something with a MBR is no fun. (MBR - Master Boot Record). I had the same problem when upgrading a ME machine (Never load ME on anything. It is the worst peice of software to ever defile any type of media). Go back to whatever you can remember was a solid working configuration, and go from there.

konajim

konajim

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks

Yes but i cannot get it to boot ..........any idead?

jim

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,385 posts
Ok. Take the disk out and there should be what we call a map of settings.
this will show you how to change your drive from a Master to a slave.
Normally the jumpers are at the back of the drive near where the cables plug in, but not always it depends on the drive itself. You also have to take the drive out of the other machine and set the jumpers on that to being a Master with a slave. With any luck your cmos will be set to auto detect the drive.Remember to ground yourself 1st by touching some metal.
If you can't find the map or the jumpers post back with as much info as you can on the drive.

konajim

konajim

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
gULP .......tHANKS

Right will have a go omorrow will out it back in and get all details
Thank you

JIm

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff