Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Motherboard fried?

• Please log in to reply

jakla

jakla

• Pip
  • 2 posts
After a few hours being idle, my computer shut down, unable to power up again.

Since I recently added a 6600gt GPU I suspected the PSU. But now I have tried another without any luck - both with the new and the old GPU.

When I turn on the computer, the fan on the motherboard sometimes starts for about half a second and then it stops.

I have tried to unplug all hardware from the motherboard, which didn't change anything.

Is the motherbard fried?

Advertisements

KGH

KGH

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Have you got a system speaker connected to the motherboard that is giving any bios beep codes when you try to boot?

Hawker

Hawker

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
does the PSU turn on on boot?

jakla

jakla

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
No beep. The PSU is "humming", so I think it's ok. I have tried with two different PSUs - with the same result.

neilp4453

neilp4453

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
i used to get that problem and it was stand-offs.

when I mobo blew, the fan didnt work at all. but they told me to check all the capacitors to see if any were blown.