Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

how to add my old hard drive into my new computer

• Please log in to reply

solidsnake20

solidsnake20

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Recently my old computer went and broke on me before I could get all my important documents burned onto CD (stupid me for never backing up my data). I know that it was not the hard drive that went on the computer and that all the data is safe. I bought a new computer and would now like to add the additional hard drive into my new computer. I took a look inside my computer and I noticed that I have an additional slot on my motherboard for another hard drive connection (40 pin connector). The hard drive in my computer now is currently set to "cable select". My question is how should I go about installing the additional hard drive? I am going to be using the new computers hard drive to boot up. Should I set the new computers hard drive to "master" and then connect the old hard drive onto the same cable and set it to slave? Or should I just leave the new hard drive alone (on "cable select") and install the old hard drive on "slave" and connect it to the mother board with its own 40 pin connector? Both the new and old computer have Windows XP SP2 on them, although I don't think the old one matters since I will be using the new one to boot into windows. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
The method of setting your new computers hdd as master and the old hdd as slave on the same cable will work best.

sometimes not always setting them on CS causes problems so to avoid them I use the master slave config.

Rick