Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stuck in XP Classic? [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

meremoongirl

meremoongirl

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
I think I successfully got rid of the HTML.Smitfraud.c.. nasty thing that screwed up our desktops. Crazy thing is, although we are running Windows XP, the only options in Desktops>Properties now is Windows Classic Style... Not Windows XP. So the buttons/toolbar all like Windows '98. Is it possible that the different Malware problems caused this? Or is there a way to restore it to its previous settings?
Once again, confused.....lol

Advertisements

Guest_usetobe_*

Guest_usetobe_*
try this one first

Please right-click: HERE and go to Save As (in Internet Explorer it's "Save Target As") in order to download Grinler's reg file. Save it to your desktop.

Locate "smitfraud.reg" on your desktop and double-click it. When asked if you want to merge with the registry, click YES. Wait for the "merged successfully" prompt then follow the rest of the instructions below.

Reboot pc...is that fixed?

meremoongirl

meremoongirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Hi there, thanx for the response. When fixing my Smitfraud problem (thank you so much to one of your staff for helping me) I had already downloaded the smitfraud to my registry and rebooted . All was done. (i have a closed topic from about an hour or so ago regarding the Smitfraud incident). Comp seems to be happy, but I can only use windows classic for some reason. Perhaps something was damaged by that [bleep] trojan? Not sure. I havent been able to access my b/f's desktop, as he has been working all day and i do not know his password for his desktop. I figure that most likely, because I have administrator priviledges that running everything from my desktop should be good enough. Is it possible maybe that I need to get to his desktop to do womething in order to rectify this situation? If so, he should be home in about an hour and I can get him to log in.
If you'd like my my HiJack This record, I could run one for you.
Truly,
Mere

meremoongirl

meremoongirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Ok, so when b/f got home, he logged onto his desktop on the same pc that was earlier fixed. (i regained my desktop after the smitfraud incident but was unable to change my desktop theme/appearance to reg xp. STuck in windows classic) . His desktop is the blue screen with "fatal error et. etc. caused by smitfraud.HTML.c)
I ran HiJack This, it ran really slow, and i hard time moving the scroll bar when viewing the results. I will post the HiJack this logso that you can check it out if possible. Is it possible that the method I used only cleared my destop and not his? (although, like I said, I can't get out of the classic edition even though Im running xp)Severely confused...
oh.. also, When i had loaded my desktop, it was running spysheriff (before I got staff's advice and successfully cleaned it.. )but when b/f logged onto his desktop, PCGuard (or PS guard?)was running.We had not installed this program. Could it be two different programs?Causing troubles on both desktops? They were both phoney programs listing numerous things and prompting us to install full versions or whatnot.
We have run Ewido, updated Adaware, spybot with dso exploit fix, antivirus programs (panda and AntiVir. And the new microsoft anti-spyware. Also A squared, &Clean Up.
p.s. Downloaded Smitfraud onto his desktop, added it to his registry. It restored the ability to change his desktop pic etc., but like my desktop, it will only run in Windows Classic... and we are running windows xp.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 7:03:42 PM, on 6/20/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\windows\System32\smss.exe
C:\windows\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\windows\system32\services.exe
C:\windows\system32\lsass.exe
C:\windows\system32\svchost.exe
C:\windows\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
C:\windows\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXPPS.EXE
C:\Program Files\AVPersonal\AVGUARD.EXE
C:\Program Files\AVPersonal\AVWUPSRV.EXE
C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoguard.exe
C:\windows\system32\svchost.exe
C:\windows\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\MSN Apps\Updater\01.02.3000.1001\en-ca\msnappau.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\iTouch\iTouch.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\AVPersonal\AVGNT.EXE
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\Documents and Settings\Pablo Orellana\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.google.ca/
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.google.ca/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = localhost
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Companion BHO - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\COMPAN~1\Installs\cpn\ycomp5_5_7_0.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: ST - {9394EDE7-C8B5-483E-8773-474BF36AF6E4} - C:\Program Files\MSN Apps\ST\01.03.0000.1005\en-xu\stmain.dll
O2 - BHO: MSNToolBandBHO - {BDBD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0} - C:\Program Files\MSN Apps\MSN Toolbar\01.02.4000.1001\en-ca\msntb.dll
O3 - Toolbar: MSN - {BDAD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0} - C:\Program Files\MSN Apps\MSN Toolbar\01.02.4000.1001\en-ca\msntb.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Yahoo! Companion - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\COMPAN~1\Installs\cpn\ycomp5_5_7_0.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [msnappau] "C:\Program Files\MSN Apps\Updater\01.02.3000.1001\en-ca\msnappau.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PrinTray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\2\printray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [zBrowser Launcher] C:\Program Files\Logitech\iTouch\iTouch.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVGCtrl] "C:\Program Files\AVPersonal\AVGNT.EXE" /min
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [LDM] \Program\BackWeb-8876480.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Logitech Desktop Messenger.lnk = C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\LDMConf.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Yahoo! Search - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycsrch.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! &Dictionary - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycdict.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! &Maps - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycdict.htm
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\yhexbmes0521.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\yhexbmes0521.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {00B71CFB-6864-4346-A978-C0A14556272C} (Checkers Class) - http://messenger.zon...kr.cab31267.cab
O16 - DPF: {14B87622-7E19-4EA8-93B3-97215F77A6BC} (MessengerStatsClient Class) - http://messenger.zon...nt.cab31267.cab
O16 - DPF: {4F1E5B1A-2A80-42CA-8532-2D05CB959537} (MSN Photo Upload Tool) - http://by19fd.bay19....es/MsnPUpld.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupd...b?1104017424578
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai...all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {8E0D4DE5-3180-4024-A327-4DFAD1796A8D} (MessengerStatsClient Class) - http://messenger.zon...nt.cab31267.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoft.../as5/asinst.cab
O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF} (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) - http://messenger.msn...pDownloader.cab
O16 - DPF: {B8BE5E93-A60C-4D26-A2DC-220313175592} (ZoneIntro Class) - http://messenger.zon...ro.cab32846.cab
O16 - DPF: {BD393C14-72AD-4790-A095-76522973D6B8} (CBreakshotControl Class) - http://messenger.zon...ot.cab31267.cab
O16 - DPF: {F04A8AE2-A59D-11D2-8792-00C04F8EF29D} (Hotmail Attachments Control) - http://by103fd.bay10...ex/HMAtchmt.ocx
O23 - Service: AntiVir Service (AntiVirService) - H+BEDV Datentechnik GmbH - C:\Program Files\AVPersonal\AVGUARD.EXE
O23 - Service: AntiVir Update (AVWUpSrv) - H+BEDV Datentechnik GmbH, Germany - C:\Program Files\AVPersonal\AVWUPSRV.EXE
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite guard - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoguard.exe
O23 - Service: LexBce Server (LexBceS) - Lexmark International, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE

Edited by meremoongirl, 20 June 2005 - 08:34 PM.

Guest_usetobe_*

Guest_usetobe_*
Click here to download luna

Unzip it and using windows explorer, MOVE the luna.msstyles which is present in that folder you unzipped to this folder: C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes\Luna
Don't move it to anywhere else than that folder!

When you have moved it there, rightclick on your desktop > properties ... and look if Windows XPstyle is now present again. Choose apply and OK.

If not, reboot first, and try again to select Windows XPstyle

Let me know how you get on

meremoongirl

meremoongirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Hi there,
thank you for your response. I downloaded the zip. When I opened it to move the luna.msstyle to the correct folder, it opened up a desktop properties window. In german.(i think) but i was able to change b/f's desktop back to the way it should be. XP style.
Then I went to my desktop, opened my desktop properties, and the approproate selections were there in English to change my desktop.
Funny thing, when I was typing this exact same response a few moments ago, the browser closed itself and so now I am typing this out again.. lol. VEry strange. I hope theres not still things running amok in this comp.

Guest_usetobe_*

Guest_usetobe_*
hopefully that was just a little hiccup regarding browser, i'll leave this thread open for a while just in case.........

From your log, I see nothing in the ways of trojans, nor any evil entities attempting to possess your computer, except for Windows but it's too late for that one. :tazz:

Congratulations your log now appears to be clean. ;)

Here are some tips, to reduce the potential for spyware infection in the future, I strongly recommend installing the following applications:

Detect and Remove Programs:
  • How to use Ad-Aware to remove Spyware <= If you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer, here are instructions on how to download, install and then use Ad-Aware.
  • How to use Spybot to remove Spyware <= If you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer, here are instructions on how to download, install and then use Spybot. Similar to Ad-Aware, I strongly recommend both to catch most spyware.
Prevention Programs:
  • Spywareblaster <= SpywareBlaster will prevent spyware from being installed.
  • Spywareguard <= SpywareGuard offers realtime protection from spyware installation attempts.
  • IE/Spyad <= IE/Spyad places over 4000 websites and domains in the IE Restricted list which will severely impair attempts to infect your system. It basically prevents any downloads (Cookies etc) from the sites listed, although you will still be able to connect to the sites.
  • MVPS Hosts file <= The MVPS Hosts file replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well know ad sites etc. Basically, this prevents your coputer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer
  • Google Toolbar <= Get the free google toolbar to help stop pop up windows.
Other necessary Programs:
  • AntiVirus Program<= An AntiVirus program is a must! Whether it is a free version like AVG or Anti-Vir, or a shareware version like Norton or Kapersky, this is a must have.
  • Firewall<= A firewall is definatley a must have. Two good free versions are Sygate and ZoneLabs.
  • More Secure Browser<= Internet Explorer is not the most secure and best browser. There are safer and better alternatives available. I recommend Firefox, however Opera and SlimBrowsers are good as well.
And also see TonyKlein's good advice
So how did I get infected in the first place? and AntiSpyware Net's spyware article: Spyware, Adware, Malware: What it is, how it got on my computer, how to get rid of it, and how to prevent it.

meremoongirl

meremoongirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Thanks so much, yes it is a bit late for that evil Windows entity, lol.
I currently have the updated version Ad-Aware, Spy-bot s&d, A-squared, Ewido, Microsoft Anti-Spy and Anti-Vir. So, I think Ive got most areas covered. Our comps is behind a router which I am pretty sure is configured correctly.
We also use Firefox almost all of the time and we have the google toolbar.
That MVPhosts file sounds like a good idea though, and I can download spyblaster too.
thank you so much!

Guest_usetobe_*

Guest_usetobe_*
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :tazz:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.