Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

A few questions... [CLOSED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Timbydude

Timbydude

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
I have a few questions.
1) I have a cabinet on my computer entitled: "C:\eied_s7..."(the ... represents other characters that I don't remember at this point). Which also is the place where Norton says a decrompessed file is giving me "Download.Trojan". Would you recommend removing this entire cabinet?
2) Norton also detects "index[5].html" as an Adware threat in my Temporary Internet Files. Is it OK to delete that folder or could it damage my computer?
3) Almost every forum I've gone to I've seen things about "Hijackthis". I know it is a software of some kind, but what is a Hijackthis log and is it COMPLETELY safe?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Advertisements

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Welcome to GTG.

Yes, that file is bad. So delete it.

Read the first link in my signature below. When you get to HijackThis run it and post the log here.

HijackThis is a small, but very powerful tool. It can help and also mess up your computer if used improperly. All the helpers here should be trained to handle these logs correctly. As with everything, nothing is perfect. There may be times when things don't go so smoothly, but a mast majority of users can get their computers fixed if they hang in there with our help.

Timbydude

Timbydude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Before I download HijackThis...does it have any adware, spyware, or viruses on it? And also, should I delete the ENITRE cabinet? Thanks.

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
We never ask users to download something that has spyware or adware in it (at least not intentionally :tazz:). But I assure you that if you download HijackThis from the link we provide that's it's free of spyware or viruses. Take note though, that if you have McAfee it might detect HijackThis as a virus because of the way it's coded. Ignore that warning because it's a false alarm. Update McAfee (if you have that) and it should get rid of the false alarm. So download HijackThis and run it. Just don't fix anything unless we mention to fix it.

Yes, delete that whole C:\eied_s7....cab file. We should see it in HijackThis also. But you may delete it now.

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.