Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue Screen Errors - CPU too hot?

• Please log in to reply

KGH

KGH

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Hi

Running AMD 4000+ on Abit AV8; 1 gig corsair twinx 3200 DDR; BFG 6600 GTOC in a Tsunami Dream case with Thermaltake 2 x 120mm fans (one rear exhaust; one front intake) and 1 x 90mm side mount fan blowing directly onto heatsink.

I upgraded to this system last week and performed a repair install of XP. I am having a few stability problems. Have done the usual update/roll back of drivers etc.

System temp is 25 degrees celsius; power supply 33 degrees celsius but the cpu temp at idle is 40 and under load is getting up to 57. Ambient temperature around 20 degrees celsius.

I am getting relatively frequent BSOD's and / or freezes playing games or browsing the internet.

I was getting IRQ_NOT_EQUAL_TO_OR LESS_ BSOD's but am now getting one that reads: "win32k.sys - address BF95B12E base at BF800000 Datestamp 3d6de5e5."

Is it possible this is related to the cpu temp - perhaps the heatsink (stock AMD) is not operating efficiently? Or is it more likely related to software (ie, the repair install of XP?)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Advertisements

RogueComGeek

RogueComGeek

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
well 140F is what that is what y[quote]ou said and its suppose to be able to hold on till 170F before it will crash. its what the specs say on AMD's site (S939)
something related to bsod errors with a list of them and what can cause them

Typically due to a bad driver, or faulty or incompatible hardware or software. Use the General Troubleshooting of STOP Messages checklist above. Technically, this error condition means that a kernel-mode process or driver tried to access a memory location to which it did not have permission, or at a kernel Interrupt ReQuest Level (IRQL) that was too high. (A kernel-mode process can access only other processes that have an IRQL lower than, or equal to, its own.)

Edited by RogueComGeek, 20 June 2005 - 06:17 PM.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

The repair install did not work very good this is typical when you use a copy of windows that was set up on another computer even with the repair install there can be some issues with drivers so you should format and do a clean install so slave the drive in another computer backup your stuff first.

Your temps are ok and should not be a problem

Rick

Edited by Doby, 20 June 2005 - 08:56 PM.

KGH

KGH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Ok great, thank you very much Doby.

What is the best way to reformat a Fat 32 drive?

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Just put your windows XP cd in and boot from it,(check your boot order in bios) it will give you a option to format but format it ntsf would be better

Rick

KGH

KGH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
What is the difference between FAT32 and NTSF and are all hard drives capable of being formatted in both (mine is a Samsung S820N I think)?

Thanks again for all your help.

Edited by KGH, 20 June 2005 - 09:17 PM.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
NTSF is just a better file system its newer and usually recomended for XP although XP can also use fat

All drives I know of can use either so you will be ok and using the XP disk is easy but the drive manufactuers also provide tools to format the drive that you can download for free from there website but I have found the XP disk to work fine on all drives

Your welcome

Rick