Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Remote Assistance not working via messenger but..

• Please log in to reply

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
interesting....I wonder if that changed with sp2 (this machine has sp1).

Is msn messenger 7 still installed? Have you tried removing it?

Have you tried reinstalling Windows Messenger 5.1
(they are not the same thing--and remote assistance requires Windows Messenger 5.1, but not msn messenger).

http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

I have also found one example where reinstalling sp2 fixed the problem, but only by using a network installation

Advertisements

race

race

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I have tried removing msn 7 and windows messenger 5.1 and resinstalling... but it didn't help.

i feel nervous about uninstalling sp2 (since i have updates to that) and reinstalling it... is that easy/safe to do? i don't know if it would help.

sounds like this relates to the port 3389 not displaying... but i wonder why the remote assistance works via email invitation?

any last ideas? thanks.

race

race

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
bump: gerryf... just wondering if you have an idea? thanks.

screwy_looie

screwy_looie

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
uninstalling and reinstalling sp2 is easy

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
yes, easy to do....from what I have read, it is not even necessary to uninstall it (though I would), but just install it over.

It works via email because it is a different process. when you send an email, all the info needed is included in a little remote assistance file. via messenger, the packet sent in email is not getting through (guess).

race

race

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
how do i reinstall sp2? on the microsoft site, it says the only method is via windows update or 'automatic' update... both of which don't give me the option. is there a downloadable file somewhere? thanks... i guess i can try this as a last option.

race

race

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
bump: gerryF, still around?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

sp2 network install...the whole thing---download and install from your pc

race

race

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
thanks. but the Microsoft website says:

DO NOT CLICK DOWNLOAD IF YOU ARE UPDATING JUST ONE COMPUTER: A smaller, more appropriate download is now available on Windows Update. The best way to ensure you get Windows XP Service Pack 2 is by turning on the Automatic Updates feature in Windows XP today. You can use our step-by-step instructions or, if you prefer, let us do it for you.

so... are you sure this won't cause any problems? should i uninstall sp2 somehow first... or just reinstall on top of it??

thanks.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
just download it.

and yes, remove sp2 in add/remove control panel (make sure to check SHOW UPDATES)

Advertisements

race

race

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
i did all this... it did not solve my problem. :tazz: darn. any last ideas?

thanks.

race

race

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
bump: gerryF: any final thoughts? thanks.

race

race

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
gerryF: still there??

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
out of curiousity, did dyou try it between the removal of the sp2 and the reinstall of sp2?

race

race

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
no, i didn't. but even when i had sp2... this USED to work. once i downloaded the MSN Messenger BETA, it stopped working... but i thought that was because of the BETA version and it said it might not work in the release notes. But now that 7.0 is out... it still doesn't work... nor does it work with Messenger 5.1.

any idea? i can't even contact anyone at microsoft who knows an answer.