Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable?

• Please log in to reply

mike237

mike237

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I just recently assembled my new computer and im trying to put microsoft XP on it and everytime i insert the CD it says
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cables
PXE-MOF: Exiting nVidia boot agent
Disk Boot Failure, insert system disk and press enter

Any help on thsi subject would be great

Advertisements

nevets68

nevets68

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
A gentleman on this site - http://www.nocrash.c...msgs/3247.shtml - was having the same issue as you.

Try some of the suggestions listed.

mike237

mike237

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yea i have switched all of the BIOS stuff like that guy said but still nothings working any one else have any ideas on what i could try to fix this problem.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
not sure what you tried, but the message is basically telling you that it cannot boot from the network interface--your computer is skipping over the floppy, cd-rom and harddrive (or any other boot options), and going to the network, either because the boot order is wrong or the CD_rom is not functioning.

Try a different cd-rom player

CyborgPC

CyborgPC

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Regarding these errors, and from hearing from techs or geeks from different walks of life, I am amazed the solutions they suggest. My own experience is that people go to BIOS or try to partition or format HDs when they are not qualified to do so. That is the first problem attempting to do something without the knowledge. Second of all, all the suggestions are just guesses. The error messages the computer suggests are also missleading. I had one problem once installing XP and the error was wrong version, what ever I did, it worked, but I dont recalled what I did. But all the suggestions to my problem never helped. it is like your car alternator is bad, but you are fixing the radiator. That is what I have been reading in these forum since aol first got into being recognized as an online service. To be able to troubleshoot, the person must know computer theory, Operating systems and know each hardware component and its usage. I suggest you guys read the book how to build a computer by Morrison I believe that is his last name, it is a book and it has a plier in the cover, and read Maximum Magazine minimum BS. Do not fail to read the motherboard's manual in its entirely, anything less than that you are walking on very thing ice and you will sink. So read and read and read and read.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
CyborgPC Since you are touting yourself as the Geek of all Geeks (and everyone else knows nothing), what is your solution to the problem?

If you knew anything about computers you would realize that a lot of issues are not cut and dry.