Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Building with Dell spare parts?

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey guys, nice forum, I think i'm going to have to keep checking this place out.

Anyway, to my question, a friend of mine has a Dell 4500S, and wants to upgrade his video processing power. I told him that's virtually out of the question, except for the few suggestions that I read in a previous post. I want to build him a new one out of spare parts from his old one, and new parts from newegg. The main part that i'm having trouble with is the processor. Can I re-use his old processor? It would be completely worth it if I could pull out his processor and plug it into a new motherboard with new RAM (because I know that Dell RAM is Dell machine specific). Or is the processor Dell machine specific too? I think it would save a lot of money in a long run, along with his floppy and hard drives. It's a pentium 4 2.00 Ghz, is there more than one socket type for this processor? Is there multiple types of north bridge compatibilities? I don't think its a prescott, because they weren't quite out yet when he bought this.

Thank you very much for your time.

• PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
it most likley a northwood core
and they use skt 478 mobos

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If you are unsure what you are doing as you seem to be dont build your freinds pc for him. Let him do it himself that way if he screws it up its his fault, help him but dont do it yourself. Dell processors arent machine specific as far as i know but the older ones can sometimes have the cpu soldered on its something to be wary of.
I cant see it saving money as the processor is old and you cant get a new chipset board for it, so it will be hard to find a good replacement cpu in the future you would be better buying a new board and a cheap amd cpu a 3000+ 64 venice is very cheap and is a good cpu and can be overclocked later as well.