Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

USB not working

• Please log in to reply

jevdokimoff

jevdokimoff

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey Y'all,
I purchased a new USB drive just recently for my Dell Demension 2350 and it would not load. It loads on every other computer but mine. After spending an hour with tech support I returned it and exchanged it for a SanDisk Cruzer Mini: same problem, works for every computer but mine.
Whenever I plug it in it appears as an unknown device in the hardware manager and says it cannot locate a driver for it. I assumed there must be something wrong with my USB drivers as I shouldn't need drivers for a Flash Drive in Windows XP Home Edition. I uninstalled the drivers for my USB devices and attempted to reinstall them. First I tried to install them from my original CD and it could not install them because they were for Windows 95 or later. Next I tried downloading them from Intel for the chipset in my Dell and those would not install either. I noticed Microsoft had USB drivers availible for XP service pack 1 so I uninstalled service pack 2 and was actually able to re-install the original drivers. The problem is now NONE of my USB devices work- wireless network adaptor, turbo mouse, printer, ect. I moved my computer into the other room so I could connect it directly to my router and dug out my orignal mouse and desperately trying to get this thing working again.
So here I am, when I plug in my Flash drive it still comes up as an unknown device and now NONE of my USB devices are working. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Justin

Advertisements

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I had the same problem on one of my flash drives. I just clicked 'ok' on all of the screens and it said something like 'finished installing new hardware' and that was the last problem I had out of it.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Here's a link to some USB stuff. Make sure you check out the menu on the left side:

http://www.usbman.co.....Safe Mode.htm

jevdokimoff

jevdokimoff

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks to this nasty cold I was up all night anyway, so I got it working. Thanks to those of you that replied. I was able to resolve it thanks to the help of the manufacturer (go figure)!

Here is what they said:
"Please try the following: To resolve this issue, Go to Device Manager, and you will see the Cruzer Mini with a yellow mark (?) Or (!)...Right-click on it-->Click Properties, then click REINSTALL DRIVER...Click NEXT on the following window, select SEARCH FOR SUITABLE DRIVER...and click NEXT, select SPECIFY A LOCATION and click NEXT, click on the BROWSE button next to COPY MANUFACTURER'S FILE FROM...select your hard drive where it says LOOK IN, double-click on WINNT, double-click on INF, and click on USBSTOR.INF and click OPEN, click OK, if you see a INSTALL ONE OF THE OTHER DRIVERS, choose it, then click NEXT then select the first choice in the list and click NEXT, and click FINISH."

I think these direction may have actually been for another version of windows as they were not very accurate in my case. I did not have a WINNT directory, nor could I choose the actual inf file. I did find that the USBSTOR.INF was in my C:\I386 directory. By pointing the driver search in this folder it loaded USBSTOR.INF and asked me to locate USBSTOR.SYS, which was also in the same directory. After loading that it recognizes the flash drive as a hard drive and asked for another INF file. I forgot the name of the INF it needed, but it was also in the I386 directory along with the subsequent SYS file it requested. Once that file loaded it started working like a champ.

Hope this is helpfull to anyone experiencing the same problem. Not sure why automatic search would not find the proper files.

-Justin