Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

virus on windows xp

• Please log in to reply

aleis

aleis

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:tazz:
There seems to be a virus that has found its way deep into my computer and I need to get rid of it even if eerything gets wiped from my computer. I am using my laptop now because all these pop ups show up on my computer and it installs things that I dont want. How do I get rid of it. Someone please help.

Advertisements

Robert E Buehl

Robert E Buehl

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Firstly, do you have a virus scanner? Like most probably not.

If so get on the internet and do an update to the virus scanner and take it off-line and scan the complete computer.

Otherwise, get on the internet and go to www.google.com and search for a program "stinger.exe". Look for a google connection that will allow you to download the virus scanner. Download it and execute it on your machine after you have executed it. This will look for 53 of the most leathal viruses known. From my exeprience if your machine is that badly infected you might have to scan a couple of times before all are removed.

Once this is done this will knock out a lot of the lethal viruses, making internet surfing a little easier as it deletes a lot of major worm viruses which do not do nice things to your internet connection.

I would seriously consider an antivirus program if you do not have one.

A free one can be found at www.grisoft.com but probably better to go to www.google.com and type in "AVG free antivirus" and search. Hopefully it takes you straight to a free dowload connection? Good luck.

Once you have this free program I suggest you update it "right click on the icon in your right lower tray once it is installed". Then after you have updated it I would suggest to take the computer off-line and re-scan the computer, might have to play a little with the settings in order to do a complete scan, good luck with it.