Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Booting Windows XP Again

• Please log in to reply

Romeyrome

Romeyrome

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
I've been having connectivity problems on my dell machine. I'm trying to clean up this machine for my friend, but I can't get rid of all the viruses. I tried using Norton’s 2005 anti-virus, but the machine won't allow me to download latest virus definitions and fixes from LiveUpDate. I've reinstalled windows XP about a dozen times already. Finally, I decided that I was going to do a clean install, which meant I would lose all my files. I was able to save some of the files to a server on the web. I was in the beginning of saving another file, when suddenly my computer shut itself off and rebooted. Now I'm unable to reboot. I tried rebooting in safe mode, but after initializing some of the commands it just freezes. I'm pretty sure I have a series of viruses on there, and I unable to boot from the reinstall disk that dell computer provided me. The machine doesn't have a floppy drive. What do I need to do in order to get the machine to boot, so I can run the programs that's been suggested to fix the viruses? I want to format the harddrive, and perform a clean install. But first, I have to get rid of all the viruses.

Thanks for any assistance.

Advertisements

samir7399

samir7399

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi Romey,

I suggest installin XP on a different hard-drive. Install Antivirus and latest updates. Then slave the virus prone disk to this drive and scan it for viruses and other malicious items.

Romeyrome

Romeyrome

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Thanks Samir7399, but I ended up reformatting and reinstalling Windows XP on my machine. I didn't have another hard drive to use at the time. Thanks again anyway!