Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Home LAN problem

• Please log in to reply

BigJezz

BigJezz

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,

Ok so I've had a look around but can't seem to find anything.

My Problem:

We have 4 compters connected through a hub to the internet (broadband), and all can access the internet fine. The problem is between 2 of the computers (both running windows xp).

We are trying to play a LAN game, between the two computers. Now my friends one seems to be fine, in his 'workgroup compters' he can see my computer. When trying to ping my ip, he gets a 'timed out' error, but he can ping his own fine. Now with mine, I can access his files from an explorer window via the address bar typing \\'His Computer Name", and I can access his shared files. When copying one of his file, it copies fast - ie. direct connection. However, when he does the same to me he cannot access my computer, and even though he can see my computer in his workgroups, he cannot access it there either. I can ping his ip and get a reply, but when i ping mine, i get the 'timed out' error. also when I go to 'my workgroup computers' I dont get anything, not even my own computer. When I try to view my workgroup computers I get told that it is not accessible and I do not have permission. I have run my network setup wizard, the exact same as his.

Does anyone, have any ideas on how to get the computers seeing each other in the workgroup computers section?

If any other info is needed, just ask and I'll post what I can.

Thanks a lot.

Jezz.

Advertisements

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Right click on "My Computer", click on "Manage",
Go to the Services tab, then Services,
Check and verify if the "Server" service is started.

Greazy Mcgeezy

BigJezz

BigJezz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yes it is started and its start up type is automatic.

Jezz.

BigJezz

BigJezz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Oh - I made a mistake - the computers are actually connect through a 4-way router which is connected to the net, "SpeedTouch 500 series Multi-user ASDL gateway". However, it can act like a hub for a LAN, because like I said before, when sending files to each computer via MSN Messenger - the transfer is really quick - ie, direct transfer as it doesnt register on the bandwidth. The box also states that it has this functionality.

I'm really stuck for ideas.

Cheers

Jezz.

BigJezz

BigJezz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey all....now I feel really stupid...

Messing around trying a few things - I had norton internet security running. I disabled the firewall and I was magically connected - what do you know!!!

Cheers anyway.

Jezz.

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
I usually mention firewall first!! Glad you found the problem.

Greazy Mcgeezy