Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows wont boot since installing Suse Linux 9.2

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

TheBishopOfSoho

TheBishopOfSoho

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Yesterday I installed Suse 9.2 on my system, to dual boot with the existing Windows XP Pro SP2 installation I have on it. The Linux install went fine. It boots no problem. Now hoever, if I try boot into windows, I get an error screen with

NTLDR is missing,
Press Ctrl-Alt_Del to restart.

Which is common enough. I tried then to stick in the XP cd to get the recovery console and use the FIXMBR feature, but when I load up the disk, I get the screen
"Windows is inspecting your hardware configuration" (Just black screen white text at top, not like blue screen with progress bar at bottom like I had expected) fora few seconds and then it goes blank. The disk (76 Gb SATA disk) originally had just windows on it, bu the SUse YaST installation repartitioned it and shrank the windows installation from 75 to 45 and Linux took over the other 30Gb.

I really want to keep both OP Sys's running but priority is to get Windows back up and running. I know the files on the windows partition are all still there as I can see them in Suse File Manager so hopefully all is not lost. Any help is greatfully appreciated. Im posting this in the Other Op Sys section too as Im a little desperate to get this sorted!!

Many thanks for your time and help!

Shane

Advertisements

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
I'll close this one. Please continue here:
http://www.geekstogo..._92-t37930.html

Regards,