Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wordpad document files (.doc) on XP

• Please log in to reply

SageAdvice

SageAdvice

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have many .doc files created with wordpad on my win98 machine. Now I have this XP machine and it will not open them :tazz: Does anyone know of a bulk converter to convert them to rtf files? Apparently this is a security issue in XP?

SPeaking of security, it appears many features of win98 have been sacrified at the alter of security and stability in XP. I cannot run my favorite DOS games in XP (Quake etc) and then there is this issue with Wordpad. I sure hate losing features when 'upgrading'. Seems more like a downgrade to me. ;)

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
not entirerly certain you need to convert---right click a .DOC file and choose open with, then CHOOSE OTHER PROGRAM, then navigate to wordpad...for the moment, uncheck ALWAYS USE THIS PROGRAM FOR THIS EXTENSION, and click ok and see if it opens it properly.

If it does, repeat the above and check ALWAYS USE THIS PROGRAM FOR THIS FILE TYPE

SageAdvice

SageAdvice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Sorry I wasnt clearer in my post. Wordpad will open the file but I get an error message "Can not load Word for Windows 6.0 files". The error is incorrect, they are not word for windows files,they were created with wordpad on my win98 machine. In fact, in windows explorer it even shows the file type as "Wordpad document". Curiously, some of the .doc files will open without the error message but most wont. None were created with Word since I dont even have Word. I prefer Wordpad as it is simple and does all I need it to do. This is really annoying! :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
hmm, don't know of a converter, but qjot will open wordpad files and associate the extension, so it could be your wordpad alternative...it may even save them as rtf files, just not in a batch

http://www.xtort.net/xtort/qjot.php