Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

network issues- lost connectivity

• Please log in to reply

ststeveo

ststeveo

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Metallica from hijack this suggested I post here. Had a malware infection (view posts here http://www.geekstogo...ms-t33575.html). I had install and run apps problem. Eventually tried pccllin and then lost connectivity to internet in live, but can still get on in safe mode with networking. Ultimate system crash and could not boot to windows XP. I fixed windows from cd rom boot, then followed direction from hijackthis posts. Now I need help fixing network. The wizard doesn't work and I can't get any ping. I lost two network connections and internet won't find the remaining one. Please help
Steve :tazz:

Advertisements

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
If you haven't tried to disable the PCCillin since you installed it, try disabling it and see if your connectivity returns. If so, you have a configuration problem with the PCcillin.

Greazy Mcgeezy

ststeveo

ststeveo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
I uninstalled pccillin and have been using ewido. Should I repair windows again from cd rom?

Edited by ststeveo, 21 June 2005 - 11:04 AM.

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
Make sure in your device manager and the network connection drivers are fine- have you tried rolling them back? Repair windows too to make sure all the other drivers are fine- any other problems you have with your computer besides not getting a network connection.

Also you said you can use it fine when your in safemode with network connection...does this still stand?

ststeveo

ststeveo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Yes still have connectivity in Safe mode with networking. Checked config in cmd and it matches live. All other systems fine. I ll try XP repair. Do any of the Window fixes work from online?

ststeveo

ststeveo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
turns out my drivers are out and can't be rolled back. I'll have to boot from cd rom again to get XP fix. I'll try online fix first. :tazz:

ststeveo

ststeveo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Okay- can't reset drivers with xp repair. I am loading drivers manually. Bluetooth is fixed and I got the ethernet card driver. The modem is working according to installation disc although I don't see it in device manager only the ethernet card. Is there a system driver that would affect internet connectivity and why doesn't it affect it in safe mode with networking? Are there drivers I can download from safe mode that would help? Microsoft download center won't work in safe mode. Any ideas :tazz: