Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer is not electrically grounded

• Please log in to reply

Zoomie

Zoomie

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi all. My computer is not electronically grounded. When I touch the case, I get a small shock. I live in mexico where they generally do not have ground wires to their electrical outlets. Other than the small shock I get, is it OK to run my computer if it is not grounded? Furthermore, my pointer creates "tracers" across the screen, and they stay there. This happens on two monitors I have tested. I run XP, have a pentium 4, and 646mB Ram.

Thank you for your help, in advance.

Zoomie

Advertisements

ryanmills

ryanmills

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
As far as getting shocked. Your power supply is broke. If you replace it the shocking will go away.

Also far as traces... I would have to see them. Maybe a video card issue. Has it only been doing this as long as the "shocking" issue?

Zoomie

Zoomie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
shocking issue has been there all along. I had someone try to install an ADP videocard; however, card was not compatible with XP. I still have my original dual port PCI card, however "tracers" started to show up. They basically leave a shadow where ever you move the mouse.

Thanks forthe response, Zoomie

ryanmills

ryanmills

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hard to say on the tracers, I have not run into that before. All I can recommend is to make sure you have the newest drives for your video card.

Also can you post your display setting i.e. 1024x768 @ 60hz and the name of the PCI video controller plus your monitor size and model?

-Ryan

Edited by ryanmills, 21 June 2005 - 11:37 AM.

Zoomie

Zoomie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Ryan, I appreciate your help. The videocard worked before I took it to the computer store. Therefore, I am going to take it back, and have him take a look. Again, your help is awesome, it is wonderful of people like you to share their knowledge. I will do the same in my profession.

Zoomie

ryanmills

ryanmills

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
:tazz: su bienvenida

ryanmills

ryanmills

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
For anyone else that might see this post I can remember running into this issue before. At least similar that is. Someone tried to "hot swap" a video card... :tazz:

Worked still but made a real mess of the video overlay. White lines all over the place. Oddly it went away after about a month... Never really understood that one...

I don’t think is was the same issue of zoommie but something someone might see later one..