Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

lsass.exe - system error

• Please log in to reply

Struz

Struz

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
While trying to fix my other problem (registry file can not be loaded into the hive)
http://www.geekstogo...?showtopic=3761
I am now getting the lsass.exe system error that just reboots my pc.

There is also a message that says "when trying to update a password, the return status indicates that the values provided as the current password is not correct"

Also, now the admistrator password has been changed to access the recovery cd.
I used to be able to press enter when asked for the administrator password but now it tells me that the password is invalid.

Please help !

Advertisements

Struz

Struz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
This is what I have done so far to try to fix the hive problem:
http://www.kellys-ko...om/xp_sys32.htm

In Recovery Console, change to the c:\Windows folder.

Type cd sytem32\config , and then press ENTER.

Type dir system , and then press ENTER.

If you cannot run the preceding command successfully (because the file is missing), skip to step 3. If you can run the preceding command successfully, type ren system system.bak , and then press ENTER.

NOTE : If the message that you received referred to the software file, replace "system" with "software" in the preceding command. For example, you would type ren software software.bak (instead of ren system system.bak ), and then press ENTER.

Type copy c:\windows\repair\system , and then press ENTER.

NOTE : If the message that you received referred to the software file, replace "system" with "software" in the preceding command. For example, you would type copy c:\windows\repair\software (instead of copy c:\windows\repair\system ), and then press ENTER.

You should receive a "One file copied" informational message. For additional information about how to use Recovery Console during startup, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Q307654 HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console for Windows XP

IMPORTANT : If you encounter problems when you run the preceding commands, you may need to use the Change Directory command ( cd ) one folder at a time before you run the preceding commands. For example, type cd system32 , press ENTER, type cd config , and then press ENTER.

Type exit , and then press ENTER to quit Recovery Console and restart the computer.

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
lsass.exe - Local Security Authority Service

Generates process that is responsible for authenticating users for
winlogon service.

Getting rid of the Sasser worm

Disconnect from all internet connections before doing this

run, cmd

type shutdown.exe -a

type echo dcpromo >%systemroot%\debug\dcpromo.log

type attrib +r %systemroot%\debug\dcpromo.log

set up an internet firewall by right clicking on your lan and
selecting properties

open task mgr

end any of these

_up.exe
avserve
avserve2
skynetave
hkey.exe
msiwin84.exe
wmiprvsw.exe

do not end wmiprvse.exe

install update 835732

then go to http://www.microsoft...ent/sasser.mspx

-=jonnyrotten=-

Struz

Struz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
jonnyrotten,

I can't get it to boot up at all. I can't even get to a comand prompt.

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Oh, I see, well I will look into this and hopefully someone else here will have more knowledge on this situation than I. If not someone else or myself will do everything we can to resolve this. Have patience we're all here for ya.

-=jonnyrotten=-

Struz

Struz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Oh, I see, well I will look into this and hopefully someone else here will have more knowledge on this situation than I. If not someone else or myself will do everything we can to resolve this. Have patience we're all here for ya.

-=jonnyrotten=-

Thanks jonnyrotten.

<_<

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
Put your XP CD in your drive and restart your system. Go to install Windows XP, then choose the "Repair" option. It will go through the repair. It will look like it is totally reinstalling Windows, put it's just repairing it, keeping all your programs and settings. It will go through the blue screen, then reboot, keep the cd in the drive. It will then go to the more user-friendly installation screen. It's actually a repair screen since you chose the repair option. You will need to be there until it finished, as you might be asked to input information.

Struz

Struz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Put your XP CD in your drive and restart your system. Go to install Windows XP, then choose the "Repair" option. It will go through the repair. It will look like it is totally reinstalling Windows, put it's just repairing it, keeping all your programs and settings. It will go through the blue screen, then reboot, keep the cd in the drive. It will then go to the more user-friendly installation screen. It's actually a repair screen since you chose the repair option. You will need to be there until it finished, as you might be asked to input information.

The Other Side,

The only cd I have is the recovery cd. I'm not sure it has XP on it.
I'm having lots of problems. I can't access the recovery cd because the administator password has been changed somehow. I used to hit enter when it asked for it. Now when I do it says it's an invalid passord.

Now instead of the lsass.exe error I am getting an unmountable_boot_volume message.
On the bottom it says *** STOP: 0x000000ED (0x81F7CC08, 0XC0000032, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

I don't think an XP disk came with my pc.
Is there somewhere I can download it ?

Please help !

<_<

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
It is possible that your boot.ini file corrupt. There is a way to fix this, but there is one problem. Alot of "recovery" cd's that come with premade computers do not give you the option to use the recovery console from disk, or do a repair install. I have tried to run a repair install on my pc before from the recovery disk, and I was unable to do so because I was never given the blue setup screen to choose from. On the other hand I have seen uers who have recovery disks and they do get the setup screen, and can therefore use the repair installation by pressing 'R'. If your computer came with XP installed, then I would bet that XP is on the disk. Also there are going to be other programs that came preinstalled on your pc on that disk too. They will install with windows upon running the "recovery disk". What I'm trying to say I guess is you should check for the blue setup screen when you run the recovery disk. If you get that then do this:

You can boot to the XP cd and when you see the Welcome to setup press the letter R
You will get a dos prompt
Then type "chkdsk  /p" without the quotes and hit enter
When that is done type "fixboot" and hit enter
"Y" and enter at the prompt
Then type "exit" and hit enter
The system will now reboot into Windows     

That should fix your boot.ini file.

If "fixboot" does not work
Type "chkdsk  /r" then enter
When done type "exit" and hit enter.
This will take longer, but the system should boot back into Windows.

I am concerned about you being able to do this if you need to type your administrator password upon running the recovery disk. This doesn't seem right, normally you need it to run the "recovery console" but I don't think you need it to run the recovery cd. Let us know. Good Luck.

-=jonnyrotten=-

<_<