Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing two writers

• Please log in to reply

cheeleng

cheeleng

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi I wish to know from you all, is installing two writers instead of one cdrom and cd writter
will it conflict with the burning software installed (nero,and two others). I have in my computer a cdrom and cd writer installed, but I am thinking of replacing the cdrom with dvd writer. What will be if any the IDE setting if you have to configure. I have two hdd, pri. master >80GB.XP.OS, pri.slave >40x12x48 cd writer, sec. master >40GB.ME.OS (this hdd I have removed, it is installed in a tray type box, I do not no what you call it by name). sec. slave >cdrom. As I said I wish to installed a dvd writer in place of the cdrom what will the set up. Thanks.

Advertisements

taff

taff

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
It would be better to have this setting...
On IDE 1 put both Hard drives on the same belt...
put 80GB.XP.OS as master by setting the jumper on the back of the drive...
40GB.ME.OS as slave...
Are you running 2 different os???
on IDE 2 put your CDROMS...
put 40x12x48 cd writer as the master and the regular CDROM as slave...
Use jumpers on the back of the ROMS to select master or slave...

cheeleng

cheeleng

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

It would be better to have this setting...
On IDE 1 put both Hard drives on the same belt...
put 80GB.XP.OS as master by setting the jumper on the back of the drive...
40GB.ME.OS as slave...
Are you running 2 different os???
on IDE 2 put your CDROMS...
put 40x12x48 cd writer as the master and the regular CDROM as slave...
Use jumpers on the back of the ROMS to select master or slave...

View Post

Thanks for your reply, I am intending to replaced the cdrom with a dvd writer, as mentioned I have two hdd one I am using 80GB.(xp pro) is on pri.master the sec. master which is 40GB. (xp pro) this hdd I took out because I am using it as spare and to save some of the data to it, (I just slide it out when I am not using). Please if you have any further ways which it should be configure the correct way, please let me know and should we disable the 'Enable CD recording in this drive' from the CD/DVD drive properties tab. Thanks again.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
you should be able to install the drive without any difficulty. as long as the bios recognizes the drive then it should work just fine. The software doesn't care if you have 1 or six burner devices. At most you may have to update the software if it doesn't recognize the device.

cheeleng

cheeleng

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

you should be able to install the drive without any difficulty.  as long as the bios recognizes the drive then it should work just fine.  The software doesn't care if you have 1 or six burner devices.  At most you may have to update the software if it doesn't recognize the device.

View Post

Thanks starjax I am quite happy of what I learn from the replies but can you please tell more of the "'Enable CD recording in this drive' from the CD/DVD drive properties tab". I find if I don't enable it in a particular drive I could not read the CD from that drive. Actually is it mean for XP built in burner only what if I disable or enable it. Lastly in the IDE setting should we just followed the default setting (DMA setting, what is PIO for).