Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Free Antivirus and Antispyware Software

• Please log in to reply

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Last updated on March 2013

Use the links below to find free resources to scan and remove viruses, and to scan and remove spyware from your computer. Includes: Free Antivirus Software, Free Online Virus Scanners, Free Virus Removal Tools for Specific Infections, Free Spyware Detection and Removal, Free Firewalls, Free Rootkit Detection and Removal, Other Free Tools.

Free Antivirus Software

Important note: Geeks to Go highly recommends uninstalling any other antivirus software BEFORE installing another antivirus application. Antivirus programs often conflict and can cause system slowdowns, crashes, or even leave you unprotected. Here are some uninstall programs that you can download directly from the publisher's website: Symantec (Norton) | McAfee | Trend Micro
  • Microsoft Security Essentials: - Recommended!
    Click Here for Microsoft Security Essentials
    Microsoft Security Essentials is 100% free. Free download, free updates, and advertising free. There isn't even a paid option available. Don't let the price fool you, it's a great offering. Based on their former OneCare Antivirus, and utilizing a unified detection database shared with their Forefront enterprise security product, it's feature complete, with great definitions. Above all, it uses fewer system resources than any other antivirus tested (free or paid). Simple to install, easy to use, runs silently in the background. Compatible with Windows XP 32-bit, Windows Vista/Windows 7 32-bit or 64-bit. Many languages offered.

Your PC must run genuine Windows to install Microsoft Security Essentials Learn more about genuine.
    • mse_main.png
      Home Screen
    • mse_detection.png
      Virus detected
  • AntiVir Personal:
    Click Here for AntiVir
    AntiVir has a clean and pleasant interface. It has a small footprint and is easy on system resources. Based on active infections in our malware removal forum, it's definitions are among the best. It is also more effective against rootkits than most. However, this free product aggressively promotes the paid version. A pop-up displayed after ever definition update (shown below) is sometimes confused as an unwanted popup. Compatible with Windows XP/Vista/7, including 64-bit and Linux.

This free AntiVir® Personal Edition is intended exclusively for private use on a single workstation. You may copy the complete program package and pass it on to others for private use only. The free AntiVir® Personal Edition may not be used for commercial or professional purposes.
    • antivir_main.png
      Home Screen
    • antivir_nag.png
      Nag screen pop-up
    • antivir_detection.png
      Virus detected
  • avast! Free Antivirus:
    Click Here for Avast
    Avast is light on system resources, and it's unobtrusive. For the most part it runs silently in the background. It's the only free antivirus with boot scan options. Definitions based on our experience are just average.

While still one of our favorite free antivirus, previous versions only required email registration. The registration must be renewed every year or definition updates will stop, annoying. The latest version received a much needed new interface, unfortunately it also comes with nagging ads to upgrade to the paid version, more annoying. Unless you opt-out, setup will install the Google Chrome browser. Too much annoyance.

Avast could be used only by home users which do NOT use their computer for profit. If you do not meet this condition, you will need to buy a commercial license of Avast. Use it for up to 30 days before being required to register (for free) and you'll be sent a license key via email. Compatible with Windows XP/Vista/7, 32 or 64-bit.
    • avast_main.png
    • Home Screen

avast_detection.png
    • Virus Detected
  • AVG?
    Click here for AVG
    The once often recommended AVG is no longer recommended that often on security sites like this. It's become too big, too bloated, consumes too many system resources. It does silly things. Installs the Yahoo Toolbar unless you opt out. Definition updates appear to come from different servers for free versus paid versions, and the free updates have a history of being unavailable too often. Add some embarrassing false positive detections, and below average detection rates. There are simply better free alternatives.
========================================================

Free Spyware / Malware Detection and Removal
  • Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (MBAM) - Recommended!
    Click here for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    The Malwarebytes team is made of up many people who have helped, or still help on forums like this. Their detection database may not be the deepest, but they know which infections you need help removing, and they are good at it. It excels at removing rogue, or fake antivirus programs. The free version has quick scan times, free manual updates, and free removal. Paid version adds active protection, and IP based website blocking. You can learn more about Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware PRO here.

The popularity of MBAM also sometimes works against it. If MBAM refuses to run it's usually because malware is blocking it. If so, try running exeHelper, or rkill, and then try MBAM again.

mbam.png

• SUPERAntiSpyware
    Click here for SUPERAntiSpyware
    Despite the rogue sounding name, this boasts one of the best detection and removal engines available. Free manual updates and removal. Makes a great compliment to MBAM. They also offer a portable scanner that doesn't need to be installed, and is great for downloading to a flash drive, or CD from a clean system. Note, the portable scanner is downloaded using a random name to deter blocking.

superantispyware.png

Free Online Virus Scanners

An online virus scan allows you to scan your system using an antivirus detection database, without having to install the entire application, or uninstall an existing antivirus program. These three have among the best detection rates, and are recommended:========================================================

Free Virus Removal Tools for Specific Infections========================================================

Free Firewalls
  • Note: Do NOT run more than ONE firewall.

• Online Armor Free: - Recommended!
    Click Here for Online Armor Free Firewall
    Easy to use. Nice looking interface. Impressive performance and great protection against both inbound and outbound threats.

Online_Armor_Free.png

• ZoneAlarm Free Firewall:
    Click Here for ZoneAlarm Free Firewall
    One of the first free firewall available. With its nice new interface and sleak design, ZoneAlarm Free Firewall has been updated to provide the latest protection against hackers.

zonealarm_free_9_main_610x433.png

• Outpost Security Suite FREE
    Click Here for Outpost Security Suite FREE
    A terrific free firewall, but it only comes in a security suite, so make sure if you install Outpost Security Suite FREE, you disable the AntiVirus portion if you are already running another AntiVirus software.

Outpost_Firewall_Free.jpg

Free Recovery Disks

What do you do when your system won't boot, or not any malware removal tool will run? These bootable recovery disks offer alternate boot environments, scan, and removal.
  • AVG Rescue CD - A Free bootable CD that includes AVG AntiVirus and a toolkit for the rescue and repair of infected machines.
  • Avira AntiVir Rescue System - A Linux-based application that allows you to access infected computers by using AntiVir Antivirus and a bootable cd.
  • Kaspersky Rescue Disk - Designed to scan and disinfect computers that have been infected to the point where traditional tools are not usable.

Other Free Tools
  • Norton SafeWeb - Toolbar that warns you of dangerous Web sites right in your search results, so you can search, browse, and shop online without worry or fear of threats.
  • K9 Web Protection - A free Internet filtering and control solution that puts YOU in control of the Internet so you can protect your kids.
  • SpywareBlaster - SpywareBlaster will added a large list of programs and sites into your Internet Explorer settings that will protect you from running and downloading known malicious programs.
  • SpywareGuard - SpywareGuard offers realtime protection from spyware installation attempts. Make sure you are only running one real-time anti-spyware protection program or there will be a conflict.
  • MVPS Hosts file - The MVPS Hosts file replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well know ad sites etc. Basically, this prevents your coputer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer.
  • WinPatrol - Alerts you to any system changes made without your knowledge.
  • VirusTotal - Single file upload virus scanning and submission.

dry.gif If you think that your computer may be infected, visit our Virus, Spyware & Malware Removal forum and follow the Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide so we can take a look.

Also, view our How did I get infected in the first place? thread.

Edited by DonnaB, 01 April 2017 - 06:36 PM.
Updated Guide

Advertisements

hao hao

hao hao

Spammer

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
there so many , which one is the best , thank you for giving it to us

ample2008

ample2008

• Pip
  • 5 posts
wow! it is useful for me, it is wonderful!
it is graet!

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Cheers for the list this has alot of information i could refer to at a later date

most appreciated and thanks

kbz1960

kbz1960

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
Hi is AVG really that bad and avast that much better? I downloaded Avast 4.8 today because it is the recommended program, uninstalled AVG and installed avast.

Things I like about AVG that evidently Avast can't do unless you buy it for some of the things.

1. Ability to schedule scans when I'm not using the computer.
2. I use Mozilla Thunderbird to access gmail and it scans the email with no extra programs to install and difficult setup.
3. The user interface. Maybe Avast will take some getting use to but I really don't like the interface, I think I'm using a media player.

I do like that Avast includes spyware and rootkit protection.

crawdoogie

crawdoogie

• Pip
  • 1 posts
The original post is slightly outdated. AVG 7.5 is vastly improved over earlier versions. Take a look at current test results on the VirusBulletin website.

http://www.virusbtn....display=summary

(note: To view the link above free registration is required.)

Here is a screenshot from the link above showing how AVG, Alwil (Avast), and Avira (Antivir) fared on recent VB100 tests.

virus_bulletin_2008.jpg

Edited by crawdoogie, 08 April 2008 - 03:15 AM.

kbz1960

kbz1960

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
That's interesting but it's not that far out of date. The post is very old but if you look at the screen shot it does show AVG 7.5 in 9-07. Dang and I all ready switched to avast which failed.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
kbz1960,

AVG is a perfectly good AV. I myself have is installed on a couple of computers in my house, and I have no complants with it. If you prefer the interface and features of AVG over Avast!, then that's a good reason to use it. An AV's effectiveness can be based in part on how well it's used - if you like and use features of AVG, such as the scheduled scans and the Gmail interface, that's a good reason to use it. People who don't keep their programs updated or take advantage of the features they offer are still vulnerable, regardless of which program they're using. I think you can switch back and feel confident about your decision.

Anonymous1337

Anonymous1337

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
I downloaded avast last week after seeing a video of it on youtube.

I did both a boot-time scan and a regular scan, and managed to remove 7 of 13 trojans.

The problem, though, is that every minute or so, a message appears saying,

"Avast!: INI file modification"

"A program is attempting to modify an avast! INI file, possibly changing some of its system-wide settings. Some of the settings can even disable avast! realtime protection."

"Do you want to continue?"

"(Select No unless you are preforming the action intentionally)"

And I have no idea what I'm preforming, so I'm not doing anything intentionally.
I think it's McAffe; instead of Avast's "BEEP BEEP! A trojan has been detected" message, I get mcaffe's crappy message.
It could also be a virus trying to shut avast down, but I'm not too sure.

I was thinking of removing Mcaffe from my computer, but it seems like Avast! isn't picking those active trojans up; only when I scan.

What should I do?

Thanks~

Edited by Anonymous1337, 18 April 2008 - 06:11 PM.

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

I downloaded avast last week after seeing a video of it on youtube.

I did both a boot-time scan and a regular scan, and managed to remove 7 of 13 trojans.

The problem, though, is that every minute or so, a message appears saying,

"Avast!: INI file modification"

"A program is attempting to modify an avast! INI file, possibly changing some of its system-wide settings. Some of the settings can even disable avast! realtime protection."

"Do you want to continue?"

"(Select No unless you are preforming the action intentionally)"

And I have no idea what I'm preforming, so I'm not doing anything intentionally.
I think it's McAffe; instead of Avast's "BEEP BEEP! A trojan has been detected" message, I get mcaffe's crappy message.
It could also be a virus trying to shut avast down, but I'm not too sure.

I was thinking of removing Mcaffe from my computer, but it seems like Avast! isn't picking those active trojans up; only when I scan.

What should I do?

Thanks~

Hi Anonymous1337,

If you suspect your infected Follow the instructions here:
http://www.geekstogo...-Log-t2852.html

Then at the end it will explain how to make a HiJackThis Log you'll post that log here:
http://www.geekstogo...o-Here-f37.html

Where trained and experience personnel will assist you to remove and clean the infections and recommend you to programs that will help prevent future infections.

If you do not want Mcafee, or Avast and you're not subscribe to them try something thing else in the above post and see which one you like.

Hope this helps you,
Cam

Edited by CamTheMan, 18 April 2008 - 06:15 PM.

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Anonymous1337,

You should never have 2 antivirus programs installed at once, as they can conflicts and slowness on your computer, and even leave you more vulnerable. I would feel confident with Avast, if I were you. It's possible that Avast is trying to update itself and McAfee is flagging it, in which case you're not getting current updates. I would uninstall McAfee, if I were you, and then check for updates for Avast and scan again. If it can't remove everything, then post in the malware forum and get additional help. You say McAfee is catching things that Avast isn't, but remember those viruses got on there while McAfee was installed.

Adamsappleone

Adamsappleone

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hello all,

You seem to have a very nice compilation of Security Programs listed here, but I noticed that Spysweeper by Webroot is not among them.
Just curious, but is there a particular reason why it's not on your list?

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Great question!

Spysweeper is not free. They offer a 30-day free trial. The trial also installs the Ask toolbar by default. It was a one time favorite of sites like this. However, it has not kept pace with current infections. It will not be recommended as long as behavior like installing toolbars exist by default.

spysweeper_ask.png

Adamsappleone

Adamsappleone

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks for the info, although, if you have a MSN subscription it is free and the Ask Toolbar is not included.

One more ? please.
What's your feedback on running Avast and Threatfire together?

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
If you have an MSN subscription, and can get it free it's better than nothing. But there are better alternatives. One that's not in this list yet: http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Avast and Threatfire should work well together. However, I personally prefer SpywareBlaster.