Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Free Antivirus and Antispyware Software

• Please log in to reply

bustermoves

bustermoves

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
well i did put eset in several weeks ago,and it seems to be working great.no bugs so far,and thats good enough for me.long as im thinking bout it,a guy at works wife brought home a copy of trend micro platinum or silver or what ever it is.he was telling me thats what they use where she works.just curious if anyone is framiliar with it.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
The latest versions of Trend and Norton are very good at reputation checking to protect from social engineering attacks. However, so is Internet Explorer 9 (and it's free).

Ebsuru

Ebsuru

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Thank you for this, it is very helpful. I used to use Essentials, but then I finally bought ESET-NOD32 AV 5 which works like a charm.

greenwarrior

greenwarrior

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
Hi admin,
(Avira - comodo and avira - online armor), Out of these two which combo runs fine without any conflicts?
And also out of comodo and online armor which firewall is good?(your preference please).
I even have another doubt, Do firewalls need 1 GB of ram,If not how much?
Do firewalls slow computer?(bcoz in the past one firewall did that to me.)
Please let me know.
Thank you.

Edited by greenwarrior, 18 January 2012 - 02:03 AM.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Most home users do not need a firewall. They can be difficult to configure, and are often confusing. That being said a firewall with HIPs can offer great protection. I prefer the free version of Online Armor. It will not slow your system, it takes very little RAM. It will work fine with Avira. However, if you're worried about software slowing your system, Microsoft Security Essentials would be a better choice of free anti-virus.

greenwarrior

greenwarrior

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
Hi Admin,
Thank you for replying back.
Please clarify one thing. Generally firewalls monitor programs that try to connect to the internet only where as a HIPS monitors the programs activity on the system,right?
And I have another doubt,actually when running a firewall with HIPS do I need to disable the real-time protection of an Antivirus Software?
Thank you.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Generally, HIPS is good at detecting unknown threats, traditional signature based anti-virus is best against known threats. Obviously they compliment each other. However, HIPS is not a replacement for a traditional anti-virus. One of the best behavior blocking solutions exists for free in Internet Explorer's 9-10 Smart Screen.

mnurul

mnurul

• Pip
  • 4 posts
This is so useful post for remove virus protection Thanks Admin

blueblue

blueblue

• PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
I have Spybot, which I didn't see on the list, maybe it's not so good? I've been having some trouble with it. Would anyone be able to help with this?

EDIT: After reading a few messages here since I asked about Spybot, it seems Spybot is not as good as others, though I like TeaTimer, but the program really slows my system down, might get something better.

bb

Edited by blueblue, 26 March 2012 - 11:23 AM.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Spybot may have lost some relevancy as infections have become more difficult to block and remove, but they do have their own excellent forums: http://forums.spybot.info/

Advertisements

blueblue

blueblue

• PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
Thanks! Maybe they can help me figure out some problems. -bb

rilee16

rilee16

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I want to use Eset Online Scanner once; it downloaded the virus database or something since it's the first time I'm using it. When I'm done, which files do I need to delete from my computer so it doesn't take up that space?

And yes, space is at that much of a premium that I'll need to delete those files.

EDIT: Never mind, it just finished, and offered me that option. Awesome!

Edited by rilee16, 13 April 2012 - 07:46 PM.

foxthirteen

foxthirteen

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, admin and fellow members.

Just wondering,
Although I know it might be silly to compare free vs. paid antivirus, but is MSE any better than BitDefender (other than resource usage)?
Recently I hear many good things about MSE.
I use BitDefender 2011 for my main computer. I plan to use MSE for my laptop cause it's free.

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Personally I think Microsoft Security Essentials is fine security application and one I advise anyone I assist to download/install if they wish for say either a alternative solution and or what to use etc...

Though I do recommend the freeware version of Avast also, end of the day either is good from a freeware point of view. This however is merely my humble opinion. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I have to echo Dak's opinion. I use Avast on my system and the other 4 systems in my house all use MSE. I recommend either all the time. :thumbsup: