Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Free Antivirus and Antispyware Software

• Please log in to reply

xanthorea

xanthorea

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Thanks for the Quick reply.

I use security essentials and super antispyware,and have done for a while,all good there.
I am on win7.
Zone alarm was fine until recently started displaying 'upgrade' window regularly so just thought it might be time to change.

Thanks again

Advertisements

Lykathea

Lykathea

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
Will the recommended programmes be updated soon? I've heard MSE is not as good nowadays and would like to know what programs are recommended.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
MSE or defender (windows 8) is perfectly fine. All av programs have their shortcomings and idiosyncrasies.

Niyol

Niyol

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Hello :)
What rootkit scanner (stand alone) would you recommend. I use Mbams, but would like to know of any other good scanners.

Thanks for any suggestions :thumbsup:

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
GMER is a very useful ARK(advanced rootkit scanner) I have found but with regard to interrupting the output it would be probably best to seek assistance with that if not familiar with it etc. :)

Niyol

Niyol

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Thank you, I will take a look and have a go with it.
I will have a read up on it before running it, I don't have any rootkits or malware on this machine that I'm aware of I just like to learn as much as I can from here, be it new programs or how to fix things.
Thanks again :thumbsup:

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Fair play and you're welcome! :)

nagies

nagies

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you, it's helpful.

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
:thumbsup: and :welcome:

kungfu

kungfu

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
This is definitely useful when choosing AV/AM

Advertisements

wja81177

wja81177

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
Just fyi i went to online armour and its only a 30 day free trial, and MSE is not catching things beforehand that malwarebytes is finding after they are already torching me.

hairyeyes

hairyeyes

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
How comes you still recommend MSE? when most other forums now say they no longer recommend MSE. Even Microsoft has said that it's very basic protection and recommends getting a different AV.
If you just have not got round to changing this yet what AV do you recommend?

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi hairyeyes,

Welcome to Geeks To Go! :)

I still recommend MSE or Avast.

Even Microsoft has said that it's very basic protection and recommends getting a different AV.

Please read the following link(s). The articles you read were paraphrased:

Sensationalist Press Got it WRONG! Microsoft Does Not Recommend Two Antivirus Programs!

Interesting read about MSE on MS Community Support:

News from Microsoft (PCPRO Article - MSE)

As posted by Rob Koch;

NO! You are completely mis-interpreting and misunderstanding what has been stated.

Microsoft has simply stopped placing resources in the effort to pass the tests, since this is completely wasted money that only those companies trying to sell their antimalware products really need to do. This has always been a problem with the supposed 'testing', since it never truly represents the real world and instead is some arbitrary view of reality based upon their own decision of which specific malware they should test with.

hairyeyes

hairyeyes

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Thanks Donna for the links
One of the Malwarebytes admin said said they no longer recommend it as it misses to many infections and is not updated regularly anymore, this was a recent post. On bleeping computer I also have seen them post of recent that MSE is not good any more and many more forums and all recent in the last days/weeks.
I will stick to Avast me thinks.
Thanks Donna

Edited by hairyeyes, 21 November 2013 - 03:57 AM.

ashna987

ashna987

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
does anyone know of the rotinom virus? :D