Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Free Antivirus and Antispyware Software

• Please log in to reply

SvenT

SvenT

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Hi Sari,

it is the computer of my lady, but I look after the safety.

I think it was called McAffee Live that I have already uninstalled. So I guess it is too late for your suggestion to use the uninstsall utility.

And also, I can't find MS Defender on the computer. Would you have a link where I can download it?

Many thanks, Sven

Advertisements

SvenT

SvenT

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

P.S. I put Malwarebytes on the computer. No other anti virus software is on it.

Thanks again, Sven

SvenT

SvenT

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Sari,

just found it  :)

I was looking for Microsoft Defender, but it is called Windows Defender.

And it is up and running, so all is well  :)

best, Sven

Crowbar

Crowbar

Teacher

• GeekU Moderator
  • 4,798 posts

Hi SvenT -

Even if you uninstalled your previous antivirus using the Uninstall a Program in your Control Panel, there may still be parts of it left behind.

Since you say McAfee Live (or was it LiveSafe?) was previously installed, it won't hurt to run the removal tool, which works on all their products.

You can download the tool from here.

• Save it to your desktop or another location where you can easily find it.
  • Right click on the file and select Run as administrator
  • Follow the instructions the program will give you. 

You will most likely be asked to reboot, so please do so. 

If there are no remnants left, it will do no harm.

SvenT

SvenT

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Thanks Teacher,

will do.

best, Sven

Alexstrasza

Alexstrasza

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello there,

I wish to make a suggestion - Emsisoft Anti-Malware is also a good antivirus and antimalware solution. The free version does not provide real time protection however (similar to MBAM).

And the MBAM image can use a revamp - the 2.0 interface looks very different :)

Alex

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP

Alexstrasza,

While I appreciate your input, as I replied to Aura in post #283, I am aware that this thread is outdated, and an updated one is being worked on. I'm sure you read that post, so please be patient while this is worked on.

Alexstrasza

Alexstrasza

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My apologies, must've missed it in the mess of posts.

Looking forward to the new thread :)

Alex

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Hello Geeks :)

How comes you still recommend MSE when a lot of other sites say it's gone down hill as an anti virus and no longer recommend it?

Or is this an old post I see it was last updated in 2013

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

This post is continually updated. We are working on another update. However, we will still recommend Microsoft Security Essentials (or Defender in Windows 8+).

The testing of antivirus software is fraught with problems. From the integrity of the companies doing the testing, to AV companies who game the tests. The only change Microsoft made is they decided to no longer play the game. Instead of having a small team of people dedicated to making sure they perform well on tests, they dedicated their entire team to improving definitions and real world detection. Microsoft Security Intelligence report shows that 0.4% of MSE (Defender) have malware detected or 99.6% are malware free.

Advertisements

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Thanks Admin that's interesting to know and I do like it for the only reason that it runs lighter on all the OS I've tried it on. Look forward to the update. To come up with an updated list do you download all the common tools used by black hats and subject each to common attacks ect? How do you come up with the list, sorry I probably ask to many questions but if you don't ask you never learn :)

HolyCowz

Bouncer

Bouncer

• PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
How about Private Firewall, a highly praised program on several security forums. Also it's free with no catch.

Never tried it by me before but maybe someone in here?

mano2

mano2

• Pip
  • 7 posts

How about Private Firewall, a highly praised program on several security forums. Also it's free with no catch.

Never tried it by me before but maybe someone in here?

I'm using Agnitum Outpost FREE at my workplace but this definitely looks promising.

In the other hand I'm surprised that Microsoft Security Essentials is recommended, I only had bad experiences with it. It made my computer slow and let in malwares and trojans.

I used AVG but the 2015 version started to slow my PC so I switched to AVAST and now I'm using it at home, on my phone, almost everywhere and I don't have any problem with it.

At my workplace as I mentioned I'm using an Agnitum Outpost FREE edition firewall with AVAST AntiVirus and I also have Malwarebytes AntiMalware installed for monthly spyware/adware scans.

tranbao123

tranbao123

• Pip
  • 2 posts

I must say my favorite is rising antivirus bu if it is for a computer iliterate person when microsofts antivirus comes out i woulduse that

tiny tank unblocked

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Really Useful for Beginners!  :spoton: 

Regards