Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Free Antivirus and Antispyware Software

• Please log in to reply

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Lt, SpywareGuard uses heuristics so it doesn't need to be updated

Advertisements

Ltangelic

Ltangelic

Angel Annihilator of Malware

• Retired Staff
  • 2,008 posts
Thanks for the information Mark, I have some doubts about the reliability of heuristic scanning. Correct me if I am wrong. :)

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Actually, they explain why their definitions aren't updated - you can find it on the Javacool site in the information about the program.

Ltangelic

Ltangelic

Angel Annihilator of Malware

• Retired Staff
  • 2,008 posts
Thanks sari, I have read and understood it. :)

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thanks to both of you. I have to do some thinking.

EdeC

EdeC

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Good evening folks: I'm new to posting, having been forced into malware research only yesterday due to an infection by Virtumonde on my XP. It seems that following the steps outlined on this site ("you must read this before posting a Hijackthis log") to remove this very recent pest may have worked (I haven't given the system the hours needed to confirm the pest is truly gone).

My question is which virus protection would be recommended (step two of the above referenced guide) given that I currently am a Comcast cable user with their McAfee package? Obviously, it did not prevent Virtumonde from infecting my system. I've had a good experience for the 2 years of owning this XP machine at home, only having this Virtumonde issue after I joined Google Gmail two weeks ago (could it be related?) Should I dump McAfee and go with the Avast! antivirus free download? Should I pay for upgrades? (I'm an autoparts marketing guy and am comfortable with technology, but it's not what I want to do after work, except to keep the system properly maintained). Do I need a firewall other than what might exist with Windows and a selected AntiVirus piece?

Thanks in advance, and my apologies to the moderator if I've asked these questions in the wrong discussion forum.

Kind Regards,
Ed.

ravantwin

ravantwin

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hello, I have Stopzilla. I've had it for a while, expensive, but lifetime subscription (once you pay for four years I think.) How good is this rated? It seems boggy, takes a lot of Mem Usage. Can I run avast as well? I'm never sure if it's that effective and my computer (online usage) has become VERY slow. Thank you, Sincerely, Sharon

lilac_sim

lilac_sim

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
hi everyone i have come on here because of the access denied message and just to learn more too! But i'm really disapointed in avg 8.0 as it is what i had with a firewall and with a spyguard etc and i decided to change it on reading your things here and well was i surprised and i was so annoyed as i thought my computer was being protected ! (obviously not ) As i just found 130 trojans!!!!!! and malwares and well i did a scan with avg yesterday and it found zilch and i updated it too. I was not amused and will i'm afraid now be sticking to this new one antivir for a while and this was maybe whats causing my problems too all these malwares and trojans although i'm lucky none has got into system files . Although i'm still getting the message at the moment but i'm so grateful for all the help i've had so far and thank you to all of you :)

brianwondering

brianwondering

• Pip
  • 2 posts
is avast better than symantec antivirus corporate edition that I get free from my school? I use it on my vista laptop. thanks.

Edited by brianwondering, 17 December 2008 - 12:34 AM.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
The corporate edition is fairly good - since you're getting it free, you might as well stay with it. Just make sure you keep your definitions updated.

Advertisements

Draygoes

Draygoes

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Will you please add Spyware Terminator to the list? Its free, and provides EVERYTHING(Realtime shield, automatic updating, and a few neat little tools.)

It even intragets clam av into itself for detection of Virus's too. Consider it giving Clam AV realtime abilitys...

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
I don't know of any of our experts, teachers, etc., on this site that recommend Spyware Terminator in their lists of protection programs. The programs we recommend here are ones that we've tested and feel meet our stringent requirements for safe and effective programs. Although it has since been de-listed, Spyware Terminator was on a list of rogue products at one point, which probably leaves many of us uncomfortable about recommending its use now. While this list does change when we feel a change is needed, I don't see that application being added any time soon.

Draygoes

Draygoes

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
May I ask why it was on the rouge list?

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Used to give false positives to lure people into buying the product. I really doubt Spyware Terminator is ever going to be recommended in the list. There are plenty of better products out there with a decent reputation

QuizMaster

QuizMaster

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Can we please get updated screenshots and information? I understand if we can't update them.