Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Free Antivirus and Antispyware Software

• Please log in to reply

Thelostlink

Thelostlink

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
A couple of quick questions.

1. You say not to have more than one Firewall, but would it be okay to download a firewall if I also have Windows firewall protection?

2. Would any of you reccomend deleting my current Antispyware to download one of these? I use Webroot Antivirus with Antispyware, and it was unable to block my current infection from getting on to my computer [Though I also had McAffe running at the time and it says here having two Spyware applications is bad.]

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Thelostlink,

1. If you download a firewall, simply turn off the Windows firewall so they don't conflict.

2. Two antispyware programs aren't necessarily bad, unless they're both providing real-time protection of files, in which case they can conflict. However, if you had Webroot antivirus and McAfee antivirus installed, that could definitely cause problems, as two antivirus programs never work well together. I would suggest combining an antivirus program from this list with an antispyware application from here.

dhitchner

dhitchner

GeekU Sophomore

• GeekU Sophomore
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
I have a quick question. I am currently running AVAST, Spywareware Guard, and SpywareBlaster on my machine. Should I also be running SuperAntispyware? Does AVAST have a good enough antispyware protection with it?

Also to anyone who is disapointed that AVAST's free version doesn't have a schedual virus scan, you can still set up a schedual scan manually. All you need to do is go into your start menu, then "All Programs", then "Accessories", "System Tools", and click on "Task Scheduler". Once you are in the task schedualer you just set up your computer to run the program "ashQuick" in your Program Files/Alwil Software/Avast4 folder.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
dhitchner,

SpywareGuard and SpywareBlaster will help protect you from anything nasty installing on your machine, but SuperAntispyware - in its free version - would be an on-demand scanner that would perform additional checks. AVAST, like most antivirus programs, can catch some spyware, since the line between viruses and spyware can be blurred, but that's not its main function. I would recommend running a regular scan with SAS on a weekly or bi-weekly basis, being sure to update its definitions prior to doing so.

dhitchner

dhitchner

GeekU Sophomore

• GeekU Sophomore
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
Thank you Sari, that makes perfect sense.

One more question maybe you can help me with. I do a bit of volunteer work building/refurbishing low end computers (very slow) for low income families. What low resource intensive programs would you advise me to install on the machines to protect them before I give them away? I want to keep them safe as possible (so I don't have to make any more house calls), but I don't want to slow down these dinosaurs any more than they already are.

Also, the free version of SUPERantispyware doesn't have a schedule scanner or a real-time protection. Is there anyway around this/is this safe? I don't know if I would trust most of my clients to remember to run the scanner themselves.

Edited by dhitchner, 31 March 2009 - 10:21 AM.

Poobie

Poobie

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Avast is ONLY a 60 day FREE-TRIAL Program?

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
No, there is a full free version that is available as well.

Poobie

Poobie

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Er...link pleaes?

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
http://www.avast.com...avast-home.html - this is the link to the home version, which is the full free version.

Thelostlink

Thelostlink

• PipPip
  • 82 posts

Thelostlink,

1. If you download a firewall, simply turn off the Windows firewall so they don't conflict.

2. Two antispyware programs aren't necessarily bad, unless they're both providing real-time protection of files, in which case they can conflict. However, if you had Webroot antivirus and McAfee antivirus installed, that could definitely cause problems, as two antivirus programs never work well together. I would suggest combining an antivirus program from this list with an antispyware application from here.

Thanks Sari!

Advertisements

dreampet

dreampet

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Ok, just a quick question. I'm a little confused about all the different AV programs and firewall programs.
Right now, in my arsenal I have ATFcleaner, SpywareGuard, SpywareBlaster, SUPERAntispyware, Avast! Antivirus, and Comodo Firewall.

Phew! That's a mouthful! Do I need all these programs?

Anyway, Avast!, Comodo and Spywareguard begin on startup and run all the time. I also assume that SpywareBlaster is running, though there is no icon for it. Is that too much? I don't know which are real-time Anti-virus scanners and which are firewalls or which I need. I just don't know where one intersects with another.

Also, when I close SUPERAntispyware, it stays in my system try unless I close it from there. Is that also running? Or is it doing nothing down there? It all seems like a lot of programs running at the same time.

danyhael

danyhael

• Pip
  • 3 posts
hi. i have a problem though. whenever i go to one of these AV websites, it displays "could not locate remote server" message in my browser. so i usually download an AV at download.com and whenever i tried to register my avast, same message appears in my browser. i tried using malwarebytes, it detected no malware. i also used avast, it detected no virus either. hopefully you could help me this time around. thanks.

Shadan

Shadan

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
NOD Esset is also free for three months, I like it and update it to charged version

Computer Technical Support

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Use the links below to find free resources to scan and remove viruses, and to scan and remove spyware from your computer. Includes: Free Antivirus Software, Free Online Virus Scanners, Free Virus Removal Tools for Specific Infections, Free Spyware Detection and Removal, Free Online Spyware Detection and Removal, Free Spyware Prevention, Free Firewalls, Free Rootkit Detection and Removal, Other Free Tools.

Free Antivirus Software

Important note: Geeks to Go highly recommends uninstalling any other antivirus software BEFORE installing another antivirus application. Antivirus programs often conflict and can cause system slowdowns, crashes, or even leave you unprotected. Here are some uninstall programs that you can download directly from the publisher's website: Symantec (Norton) | McAfee | Trend Micro

• Avast! Antivirus:
    Click Here for Avast! - Recommended
    Avast is light on system resources, and it's unobtrusive. For the most part it runs silently in the background. It's the only free antivirus with boot scan options. While it's our favorite free antivirus, the alarm that the detection engine sounds can be annoying, and we wish they'd remove the requirement for email registration.

Avast could be used only by home users which do NOT use their computer for profit. If you do not meet this condition, you will need to buy a commercial license of avast!. Use it for up to 60 days before being required to register (for free) and you'll be sent a license key via email. Resident Protection: Instant Messaging, P2P shield, Internet Mail, Outlook/Exchange, Network Shield, Web Shield, Standard Shield. Compatible with Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2K/XP/Vista, 64-bit and Linux.
    • Posted Image
    • Splashscreen

Posted Image
    • Program Interface

Posted Image
    • Virus detected
  • Anti-Vir:
    Click Here for Anti-Vir
    Anti-Vir has a clean and pleasant interface. It has a small footprint and is easy on system resources. It also consistently ranks near the top of all antiviruses in detection rates. So why isn't it our top recommendation? It's a free product, but aggressively promotes the paid version. For example, a pop-up is displayed after running updates (shown below). Compatible with Windows NT/2K/XP/Vista, 64-bit and Linux.

This free AntiVir® Personal Edition is intended exclusively for private use on a single workstation. You may copy the complete program package and pass it on to others for private use only. The free AntiVir® Personal Edition may not be used for commercial or professional purposes.
    • Posted Image
    • Control Center

Posted Image
    • Nag screen pop-up

Posted Image
    • Virus detected
  • AVG:
    Click Here for AVG
    AVG was among the first of the free antivirus products offered, and has long been a favorite of this site and others. However, their detection rates are consistently testing at the bottom of these free antivirus applications. They've also had a number of problems with their update servers recently. While AVG is still a good choice, it's at the bottom of our recommendations. Compatible with Windows 98/ME/NT/2K/XP/Vista, 64-bit and Linux.

Antivirus Protection Freeware for HOME use on personal computer only.
    1. AVG Free Edition is a FREE product. There is no warranty and no technical support available unless you purchase a technical support agreement.
    2. You may install and use only one copy of the Software for single home or office computer protection only, irrespective of the number of times you download the Software or the number of licenses you purport to accept.
    3. You may not use the Software on a network or more than one PC.
    • Posted Image
    • Test Center

Posted Image
    • Virus detected
========================================================

Free Online Virus Scanners========================================================

Free Virus Removal Tools for Specific Infections========================================================

Free Spyware Detection and Removal
  • Posted Image
  • SUPERAntiSpyware Despite the rogue sounding name, this boasts one of the best detection and removal engines available. - Recommended

Posted Image
  • AVG Anti-Spyware Free Edition Formerly Ewido Antispyware, now renamed by AVG. Still a very competent free scanner, and a worth your consideration.

Posted Image
  • Spyware Doctor (Google Pack Free Edition) Excellent detection rates, well reviewed antispyware software, but only available for free when installed using Google Pack.

Posted Image
  • Windows Defender Microsoft's free antivirus application. Now included with Windows Vista. Unlike most free products, it also includes free support (2 incidents).

Posted Image
  • AdAware 2007 A shiny new interface, and updated to work with Vista, but the same old detection results. The marketing of the paid version is also too visible in the 2007 edition. Okay for basic threats, but it should not be your only spyware protection.

Posted Image
  • Spybot S&D 1.5 Updated to work with Vista, but little else can be said about this application that's showing its age. Out dated interface, and detection engine. Often buggy. Loyalists may be the only users of this once fine program.

Free Online Spyware Detection and Removal========================================================

Free Spyware Prevention
  • Posted Image
  • Spyware Blaster Does NOT scan or detect spyware, it does prevents it from being installed. Uses a blocklist and no computer resources to run. Paid version adds automatic updating. - Recommended

Posted Image
  • Spyware Guard Real-time protections against spyware. Designed to use along side Spyware Blaster. Offers signature-based scanning for known spyware and heuristic/generic detection capabilities to catch new/mutated spyware.

Posted Image
  • WinPatrol 2007 WinPatrol is like a watch dog for your computer. It watches programs running on your PC (including the hidden ones) and alerts you if a program tries to install something unexpected, sets itself to run on startup, change your home page or install something it shouldn't.

Posted Image
  • All-Seeing Eye The program consists of a collection of tools that monitor important areas of your computer, areas in which spyware and other malicious programs practically always leave some kind of trace when they sneak into your computer.

Posted Image
  • ThreatFire NEW - Fast standard scanning, good behavior based detection (not signature), easy to use.

Free Firewalls
  • Note: Do NOT run more than ONE firewall.

Posted Image
  • Comodo Free Firewall Easy to use. Nice looking interface. Impressive performance. - Recommended

Posted Image
  • Sunbelt-Kerio A terrific free firewall, but aggressive marketing, and confusing license terms, "Sunbelt Personal Firewall 4 can run in a free mode vs. a full (paid) mode. Install it now, and for the first 30 days it will run in 'full' mode. After that, it shuts down selected features, but will continue to run in 'free' mode'."

Posted Image
  • Zone Alarm A powerful firewall, but bloated and often buggy software. Many features of the pro version are removed from the free version.

Free Rootkit Detection and Removal
Sophos Anti-Rootkit
AVG Anti-Rootkit Free
IceSword
GMER

Other Free Tools
VirusTotal Single file upload virus scanning and submission
Jotti's Scanner Another site to submit sample files for detection and submission to security publishers
Norman Sandbox Live Upload a suspicious file to this sandbox and get a detail analysis
Sunbelt CWSandbox Sunbelt Research's sandbox
System Safety Monitor Help you to protect your computer from harmful programs. Very comprehensive.

Digg it?

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you so much for this post