Use the links below to find free resources to scan and remove viruses, and to scan and remove spyware from your computer. Includes: Free Antivirus Software, Free Online Virus Scanners, Free Virus Removal Tools for Specific Infections, Free Spyware Detection and Removal, Free Online Spyware Detection and Removal, Free Spyware Prevention, Free Firewalls, Free Rootkit Detection and Removal, Other Free Tools.
Free Antivirus Software
Important note: Geeks to Go highly recommends uninstalling any other antivirus software BEFORE installing another antivirus application. Antivirus programs often conflict and can cause system slowdowns, crashes, or even leave you unprotected.
Here are some uninstall programs that you can download directly from the publisher's website: Symantec (Norton)
| Trend Micro
- Avast! Antivirus:
Click Here for Avast! - Recommended
Avast is light on system resources, and it's unobtrusive. For the most part it runs silently in the background. It's the only free antivirus with boot scan options. While it's our favorite free antivirus, the alarm that the detection engine sounds can be annoying, and we wish they'd remove the requirement for email registration.
Avast could be used only by home users which do NOT use their computer for profit. If you do not meet this condition, you will need to buy a commercial license of avast!. Use it for up to 60 days before being required to register (for free) and you'll be sent a license key via email. Resident Protection: Instant Messaging, P2P shield, Internet Mail, Outlook/Exchange, Network Shield, Web Shield, Standard Shield. Compatible with Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2K/XP/Vista, 64-bit and Linux.
- Program Interface
- Virus detected
Click Here for Anti-Vir
Anti-Vir has a clean and pleasant interface. It has a small footprint and is easy on system resources. It also consistently ranks near the top of all antiviruses in detection rates. So why isn't it our top recommendation? It's a free product, but aggressively promotes the paid version. For example, a pop-up is displayed after running updates (shown below). Compatible with Windows NT/2K/XP/Vista, 64-bit and Linux.
This free AntiVirŪ Personal Edition is intended exclusively for private use on a single workstation. You may copy the complete program package and pass it on to others for private use only. The free AntiVirŪ Personal Edition may not be used for commercial or professional purposes. Control Center
Nag screen pop-up
Virus detected AVG:
Click Here for AVG
AVG was among the first of the free antivirus products offered, and has long been a favorite of this site and others. However, their detection rates are consistently testing at the bottom of these free antivirus applications. They've also had a number of problems with their update servers recently. While AVG is still a good choice, it's at the bottom of our recommendations. Compatible with Windows 98/ME/NT/2K/XP/Vista, 64-bit and Linux.
Antivirus Protection Freeware for HOME use on personal computer only.
1. AVG Free Edition is a FREE product. There is no warranty and no technical support available unless you purchase a technical support agreement.
2. You may install and use only one copy of the Software for single home or office computer protection only, irrespective of the number of times you download the Software or the number of licenses you purport to accept.
3. You may not use the Software on a network or more than one PC. Test Center
Free Online Virus Scanners
Free Virus Removal Tools for Specific Infections
Free Spyware Detection and Removal
- SUPERAntiSpyware Despite the rogue sounding name, this boasts one of the best detection and removal engines available. - Recommended
- AVG Anti-Spyware Free Edition Formerly Ewido Antispyware, now renamed by AVG. Still a very competent free scanner, and a worth your consideration.
- Spyware Doctor (Google Pack Free Edition) Excellent detection rates, well reviewed antispyware software, but only available for free when installed using Google Pack.
- Windows Defender Microsoft's free antivirus application. Now included with Windows Vista. Unlike most free products, it also includes free support (2 incidents).
- AdAware 2007 A shiny new interface, and updated to work with Vista, but the same old detection results. The marketing of the paid version is also too visible in the 2007 edition. Okay for basic threats, but it should not be your only spyware protection.
- Spybot S&D 1.5 Updated to work with Vista, but little else can be said about this application that's showing its age. Out dated interface, and detection engine. Often buggy. Loyalists may be the only users of this once fine program.
Free Online Spyware Detection and Removal
Free Spyware Prevention
- Spyware Blaster Does NOT scan or detect spyware, it does prevents it from being installed. Uses a blocklist and no computer resources to run. Paid version adds automatic updating. - Recommended
- Spyware Guard Real-time protections against spyware. Designed to use along side Spyware Blaster. Offers signature-based scanning for known spyware and heuristic/generic detection capabilities to catch new/mutated spyware.
- WinPatrol 2007 WinPatrol is like a watch dog for your computer. It watches programs running on your PC (including the hidden ones) and alerts you if a program tries to install something unexpected, sets itself to run on startup, change your home page or install something it shouldn't.
- All-Seeing Eye The program consists of a collection of tools that monitor important areas of your computer, areas in which spyware and other malicious programs practically always leave some kind of trace when they sneak into your computer.
- ThreatFire NEW - Fast standard scanning, good behavior based detection (not signature), easy to use.
Note: Do NOT run more than ONE firewall.
- Comodo Free Firewall Easy to use. Nice looking interface. Impressive performance. - Recommended
- Sunbelt-Kerio A terrific free firewall, but aggressive marketing, and confusing license terms, "Sunbelt Personal Firewall 4 can run in a free mode vs. a full (paid) mode. Install it now, and for the first 30 days it will run in 'full' mode. After that, it shuts down selected features, but will continue to run in 'free' mode'."
- Zone Alarm A powerful firewall, but bloated and often buggy software. Many features of the pro version are removed from the free version.
Free Rootkit Detection and Removal
AVG Anti-Rootkit Free
Other Free Tools
Single file upload virus scanning and submission
Another site to submit sample files for detection and submission to security publishers
Norman Sandbox Live
Upload a suspicious file to this sandbox and get a detail analysis
Sunbelt Research's sandbox
System Safety Monitor
Help you to protect your computer from harmful programs. Very comprehensive.