Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Aurora, Nail, Dr.Pmon, PC tools Invasion [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Guest_thatman_*

Guest_thatman_*
Hi DataNully

Have you tryed to uninstall it first

Let me now.

Kc :tazz:

Advertisements

DataNully

DataNully

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Yes, I tried uninstalling the ABI Network from the Add/Remove Programs. But all it does is that it directs me to a webpage to download their uninstall program. Which from reading from other people's post the uninstaller seemed to cause more problems.

General advice from the Geeks to Go staff is not to use the uninstall program recommended by the ABI network.

Did you find something in my HJT log that has aurora/nail hiding in there?

Guest_thatman_*

Guest_thatman_*
Hi DataNully

Try this trend micro fight back.

Please download spyware-scan and save it to your desktop. now run the porgram.

DataNully

DataNully

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Okay, I ran the Trend Micro and it found a few things. Mostly cookies and some things related to "abetterinternet"

It was able to clean everything and there was no signs of aurora or nail.

Do I need to run another HJT log for you?

Guest_thatman_*

Guest_thatman_*
Hi DataNully

Now I am Happy we got them all, How is the system running now.

Congratulations! Your system is CLEAN ;)

Microsoft® Windows AntiSpyware (Beta) 2000 and XP ONLY.
Please download SpyBot V1.4 http://www.majorgeek...wnload2471.html
Spybot Tutorial
Disable Spybot Tutorial

Winpatrol Free

Ad-Aware SE Personal Edition Free
AdAware Tutorial

Turn of system restore
Disabling or enabling Windows XP System Restore
WIndows ME
Defrag your hard drive. Turn system restore back on and create a new restore point.

Tony Klien: So how did I get infected in the first place

How do you prevent spyware from being installed again? We strongly recommend installing SpywareBlaster (it's free for personal use). Click Here
Prevent the installation of ActiveX-based spyware, adware, browser hijackers, dialers, and other potentially unwanted pests.
Block spyware/tracking cookies in Internet Explorer and Mozilla/Firefox.
Restrict the actions of potentially dangerous sites in Internet Explorer.
Consumes no system resources.

Download, run, check for updates, download updates, select all, protect against checked. All done. Check for updates every couple of weeks. If you have any errors running the program like a missing file see the link at the bottom of the javacool page.

It's also very important to keep your system up to date to avoid unnecessary security risks. Click Here to make sure that you have the latest patches for Windows.

These next two steps are optional, but will provide the greatest protection.
1. Use ANY browser besides Internet Explorer, almost every exploit is crafted to take advantage of an IE weakness. We usually recommend FireFox.
http://www.mozilla.o...oducts/firefox/
2. Install Sun's Java. It's much more secure than Microsoft's Java Virtual Machine .
You can download Sun's newer JVM for Windows at http://java.sun.com/getjava/index.html.
http://www.java.com/...load/manual.jsp Windows (Offline Installation)

After doing all these, your system will be thoroughly protected from future threats.

Have a nice Day.

DataNully

DataNully

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks KC!
This was indeed a learning experience, couldn't have done it all without your help.

I have two questions for you if you can help answer them:

I've tried before to install firefox but I always run into a problem with the install program. Halfway through the installation process it would stall. Is this a question for another topic in the forum? Was it all the malware I had that prevented the installation?

Second, I tried to update the SP2 patch but for some reason I get the error message that my windows XP registry number is not valid. I do not have the windows XP installation CD, does that mean I can't get the SP2 patch at all?

Okay, that's all. You've been a great help and thank you so much!

Guest_thatman_*

Guest_thatman_*
Hi DataNully

It is saying your copy is not legal, go back the shop that sold you pc and ask them for the legal CD if they no report them to Microsoft.

As for firefox you may have a currupt zip copy dowlload a freash on an see how that go's.

DataNully

DataNully

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
:tazz: Success with FireFox! I think now that my PC is all clean I had no problems installing FireFox.

As for my Window XP not being legal. My cousin installed windows XP for me when he bought for himself a new computer about a year ago. I took a look at all the discs that came with my Dell Laptop and I have the Windows ME disc. Alas, my cousin is now back home in another country halfway around the world along with his Windows XP disc.

Take it easy!

Edited by DataNully, 06 July 2005 - 06:06 PM.

Guest_thatman_*

Guest_thatman_*
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :tazz:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.