Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Forgot to Safely Remove Hardware

• Please log in to reply

b man

b man

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi Everyone,

Please help me!!!! I installed a western digital media center external hard drive using the USB 2.0 connection. Everything was fine with it and it worked. However, I accidently removed the USB 2.0 cable while my Dell Precision laptop running Windows XP Professional with SP2 was still on. I removed the external hard USB 2.0 cable out of my USB Hub because I wanted to stick in my USB Memory Key. My USB Memory Key has about 500Mb of data on it. Now my computer is not reading that data. It is showing up as only 0Kb. The USB Memory Key is not showing in Disk Management either. I uninstalled all USB devices and driver and I did many restarts and I even unplugged everything. In Device Management all the USB devices and drivers are listed as working properly. I cannot even format the USB Memory Key in My Computer.

What should I do? Please help me!!! Thanks.

B Man

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
bman, the remove properly function of usb devices is to ensure that windows completes writing to the disk/device.

It should not impact your ability to install a different device.

Have you tried plugging your jump drive into another PC?

b man

b man

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi Gerryf,

The USB Memory Key works in every other computer that I have tried. All my data is still on it. I have put my memory key into the two USB USB ports built in my laptop and every port on my USB Hub. For some reason when I plug the USB memory key into any of the USB ports on my laptop or USB Hub, the drive gets recognized and a box appears asking me what I want to do with the files but when I click Open to view files it takes longer than it used to and then the drive appears empty.

bman

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
when you removed the usb hubs in device manager, did you also remove the host controllers?

Click VIEW > show invisible devices..anything there?