Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problems using winrar

• Please log in to reply

rxkevco

rxkevco

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Been using lime-wire recently and have had to install winrar in order to open some files. Having loads of problems with this.
How do you get a rar file open ?? for instance if i was theoreticaly to download a peice of software like office 2003 or something similar, how do i get it onto my computer as a working program. i really dont know anything about this type of file, and am banging my head against the wall.
Any advice would be much appreciated. many thanks.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
simply, you do not download software that you do not have a right to use.

Using a rar file is a separate quesiton. If a rar file is a single file archive, it is much the same as opening a zip file. If it is an archive set, you must have all the pieces of the set to open the archive and the easiest way is to double click the rar file, which is the first file of the set....other files will be named archive.001, archive.002, archive.003, archive.004, etc.

But, don't pirate software. Even if you successfully download it, some software phones home when you run it and then the software maker has a nice little ip address and federal legislation it can use to track you down

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
many thanks, i do understand, what piracy is and was simply using "office " as a for instance, . We all have, or have previosly had a copy of a programme or a peice of software that is out of our financial range. But the majority of computer owners, like myself have already learned lessons from downloading software illegally.Advice and technical support are part of the deal with original software, unlike some illegal copies, which leave you re-formatting your drives very soon after installing them.
kev.